Chapter 9

Safa's POV

"Where were you this morning when Jenny came to my office?"

I turn to my left to face him. I can't believe he'd noticed when I left briefly this morning to go get my tea cup.

But I'd only been gone for less than a minute!

I search my mind as to what to tell him that will not make it obvious that I'm lying; because somehow, and this is strange, I just have this weird feeling that there is something more to Mr. Trace than what people see - including the media.

He is smart, and I feel like he might be able to see right through my words.

Safa, say something!

I clear my throat and face my front. Apparently, he is more patient than I think at this moment.

Why isn't he repeating his question?

"I don't like to repeat myself, Safiya."

I hear him say. And then I quietly blow air out of my mouth as I respond to him. "I'm sorry I left like that. I -"

I can see him from my peripherals as he glances briefly at me.

"I had to go get my tea from my car that I'd left this morning."

Please for the love of God let him just accept my explanation without being too curious.

"You were definitely faster than a normal human being, Safiya. Please be honest with me." He says, his eyes still focused on the road.

How long do I have to be in this car with this man?!

"I'm being honest, sir. Well -" I bit my lip. I have no choice but to tell him the same thing I'd told Angela this morning.

"On my way to the elevators I found my cup on one of the lounges. That's why I got back quickly." Then I slowly release the air from my mouth and hope to God he doesn't notice.

There is a pause and then he says, "I see."

I'm holding my next breath at this point, unsure of what he meant by "I see."

Then I nod, and as I'm about to turn and face the window on my right side, he adds,

"when you need to leave for whatever reason, let me know. Unless I'm in a meeting and cannot be interrupted. Also -"

He pauses and stops the car. That's when I realize we are at our destination. I check the time on the dashboard. It's only 8:45am.

Then he faces me fully and I think my heart just stopped.

"Here's my card. If you're going to work with me effectively, I value communication. You're a great listener so communicating should come easy to you."

He pauses and I think he is waiting for me to say something.

The guts. What does he take me for?

"Yes, sir." I humbly say, ignoring the knot in my stomach.

"Go ahead. Save my number now and call me so I can save yours now."

I mentally sigh. I'm getting exhausted already from his incessant demands.

Does this man think I'm his servant or what?

"Of course." I say with a smile. He looks away, taking the key from the ignition. He is about to open the door when his phone rings.

"That's it." I say to him with another professional smile.

He looks briefly at me and nods. Then he gets out of his car.