Chapter 8: Different

Light jeans. White shirt.

A stomach full of pancakes that were on my nightstand when I woke up.

Along with a note, that read, 'Martín will be taking you to the store to pick out some items for our date later. See you then, thinking of you always.'

Just one problem with that.

As much as I hate him, I need Asher to take me. Asher wants me gone, just as badly as I want to leave. Asher can know what I'm going to buy; Martín can't.

I let out a sigh as I looked at myself in the mirror.

"You got this, Lilac. You're smart, and you're strong," I said things to myself to increase my confidence.

Asher spoke from my doorway, "You talking to yourself?"

"No - I'm talking to Bruno Mars. Nobody told you that I ghostwrote Uptown Funk?" I said sarcastically before swiping my lips with lipgloss.

I could feel him roll his eyes.

I watched in the mirror as he walked over to stand beside me, crossing his arms.

"What do you want. You texted me," he said a little quieter this time.

I took a quick glance at the doorway to make sure
nobody else was in the hallway.

"Ezra wants Martín to take me to the store to buy something - but I need you to take me," I whispered.

"Why?" he looked me up and down. "Ah. You wanna have sex with somebody really hot, huh?"

"Yea. Let me know if you have any friends."

He rolled his eyes once again.

I spoke without sarcasm this time, "I need to buy something that'll help me get out of here."

He looked to the side for a moment.

"Okay, fine. I'll tell Martín I'm taking you," he said quietly.

I looked back at myself in the mirror, "Perfect. Tell him now, and lets go."

He pulled out his phone while I put my shoes on.

After texting on it for a second, he slid his phone back into his pocket, and I stood back up to my full height.

I followed him out of the room and outside. It was a beautiful day; bright sun, clear blue sky, occasional breeze to keep you cool.

"So, what do you need to buy, anyway?" Asher asked me as we got in the car.

I sighed slightly, "You'll see. What does Ezra want me to get?"

"He's taking you on a picnic or some shit. He wants you to pick out your favorite snacks, fruit, and wine," he told me while turning onto the road.

It still felt strange to hear a sentence like that. I wasn't used to just being able to get whatever I want.

Once we got to the grocery store, I told Asher, "You can stay in the car."

"Yea, and have Ezra skin me alive if you die in there. Right," he said before getting out of the car.

I rolled my eyes and followed him inside.

We went up and down each row. I put mango, watermelon, chips, and a bottle of white wine into the cart.

"You're gonna get that?" Asher scoffed at my wine.

I looked down at it, "What's wrong with it?"

"If you show up with a bottle of wine thats twenty bucks Ezra will kill me. Here," he set the bottle back on the shelf.