────── 02.

C H A P T E R  II

C H A P T E R  II .
ᵗʰᵉ ᵈᵃʷⁿⁱⁿᵍ ᵒᶠ ᵃ ᵈʳᵉᵃᵐ

【◆】

THE FIRST THING YOU FELT THROUGH THE HAZE OF SLEEP WAS WARMTH.

Something warm was touching your forehead, gently brushing away the strands of damp hair that clung to your skin. It brought a sense of homeliness and comfort that you had never felt before, not even in the carcass of a house you called your own. Subconsciously, you found yourself leaning into it, indulging in the fuzzy feeling that spread through your body. 

You huffed childishly when the warmth drifted away, letting frigid air claim the spot it once covered. A voice pierced the air. It was sharp, like a edged knife, digging into the idle atmosphere with a precision you couldn't quite describe. Snippets of blurry conversation circled within your muddled mind, unable to latch on long enough for you to decipher the jumbled words and letters. 

"Who...did something...where...?"

"She...I couldn't..."

"...what's...will she...up..."

"I...perhaps..." 

Your drowsiness couldn't quench the curiosity that burned in your lungs. What were they talking about? Was it something important? Was it about you? A torrent of questions crashed against your mental barriers in great, powerful waves, each seeking to topple you over and make you give into the overwhelming urge. 

It was impossible to feign slumber any longer. What had been an expanse of black exploded into a mess of colors, objects and shapes, floating around aimlessly in your vision until they inevitably found their places. Before you could process it, the domestic sight of an ordinary living room stretched out before you. 

Your gaze, hungry to satiate the bubbling, unstable inquisitiveness, caught onto the person sitting nearest to you. 

Her eyes were beautiful. They were like finely-cut rubies, glittering and oscillating in the artificial light that hung overhead, inlaid in a porcelain crown with an beauty so understated yet perfectly complimentary. Glossy, ebony hair sprawled down her shoulders in a loose fashion, the inky black clashing against the vibrant red of her attire. 

She smiled faintly. Her golden earrings reflected your bewildered expression as she tilted her head slightly to meet your line of sight. "You're awake! That's a relief...any longer and I would've thought that you had entered a coma." 

You blinked dumbly, rendered speechless by some invisible force. 

Noticing your obvious confusion, the man behind her rose from his seat on the armchair and approached your reclined figure. His expression was welcoming as he knelt beside you, an earnest look flickering in his gaze. "I understand that you have many questions right now. We'll do our best to answer them, no matter what they may be."