three

Today was to be a momentous day to remember, with a total of seventeen different voyages leaving in the early morning, all of which heading in a different direction with a different goal.

The dockyard hadn’t seen such life in years. People in dirtied, sweat-dampened clothes ran up and down the wooden paths, crates of necessities in their arms. Yelling was heard all over the dockyard as people busied themselves with their jobs, preparing for the voyages set to be made that day.  It seemed everyone had a job to do. People danced around one another as they attempted to finish their duty in time.

On the end of the largest path stood none other than the greatest ship in the kingdom: the Serendipity. Its tall masts rocked with the waves, its ancient oak creaking as it moved. Its off-white sails were rolled up, prepared to be hoisted whenever the journey was to begin. The main deck was littered with crates of supplies with the crew lounging around them. In the captain’s quarters was none other than the captain himself, Wilbur, sitting at his desk with a large map rolled out on its surface.

He had been staring at the same map since he awoke at the beginning of the sun’s ascent. He couldn't, no matter how hard he looked, find where the treasure could possibly be buried. The map was large enough to show the distance between the fallen Thucia Empire and the kingdom Wilbur's father owned, yet he couldn't see a single island surrounding the two. And that's when he accepted to use the help of the infamous 'Man-Eater', or at least, that's what the newspapers called them after a certain rumour that began to spread.

The first time the Man-Eater became a problem for the kingdom was the day they committed their first crime within it. Funnily enough, the first crime the Man-Eater ever committed within the kingdom was, by far, one of the worst crimes reported in the land. However, it was more economical damage that was made rather than physical or ethical. They had somehow managed to sneak past all of the guards and security of the king's castle, broke in and stole a large sum of the treasury. Over a third of the gold within the treasury had been stolen by a single pirate alone. However, after that, the Man-Eater only committed petty crimes such as shoplifting, theft, burglary, and mild assault. Nonetheless, Wilbur still made it his duty to hunt them down.

And he did. For over several years. And yet, he still had been unsuccessful. Until now. Though, by technicality, Wilbur hadn't even been the one to catch them which only made him feel worse about the situation. Therefore, he was going to use the discovery of the Thucia Empire's lost treasure for his redemption. He only hoped that the pirate would do as told.

Right as Wilbur began to think of what spending the next few weeks on a ship with a defiant, ill-mannered, and impudent person, he began to hear yelling coming from the main deck. And so, as captain, he left his desk to investigate the noise disturbance.

What he did not expect to see was the so-called Man-Eater yelling at one of his largest guards. You seemed to have no fear or regret on your face as you yelled at the man who seemed to hold all the power with the key to your chains simply dangling from his belt. The guards stood with what appeared ti be bravery but anybody could see the confusion and terror in the poor man's eyes.

The arrival of Wilbur caught the attention of the guard, causing his shoulders to relax slightly in reassurance before he quickly stood tall once again, now remembering he was in the presence of royalty. His movements caught your attention, causing your voice to quickly die as you slowly and dramatically turned your head to face the direction where the guard's eye kept flicking too.

"Good morning, captain" you announced, punctuating the 'captain' whilst simultaneously mocking a salute. The chains around your wrists jingled as you moved your arms, exaggerating the movement even more.