Chapter 2 - Guard trials

v^----------------------------------------------------^v

I was on my way to the kingdom, passing through the forest and their beautiful, natural display of bioluminescent plants. It always helped light the way for me and my sister then. The moment I made it to the kingdom walls, two guards confronted me.

" Halt! Who are you and what brings you to the kingdom. "

" Asim. I'm just here to see what kind of jobs I can apply for. As well as maybe do a bit of shopping. "

" Asim. Wait, isn't he Selene's little brother? "

" Well he does look like her somewhat. I guess. "

" Look. Can I pass please if that's alright? "

" Well we guess. Fine, go on right ahead. Hope you have a good rest of the day. "

" Thank you. "

As soon as I pass through the guards and the gates, the place instantly went quiet as I feel stares of other people. There was murmuring amongst others that I could not either hear or translate. While walking through the kingdom and asking if maybe they have a 'wanted for hire' poster, the people slowly returned to its chattering, kids every now and then looking over at me because of the supposive 'rumours' about me and because of how tall I am. I saw up ahead that people started gathering in front of the huge gates. I assume that would be the castle. So as anyone else would do, I went to check what was going on.

There were multiple people at the front near the huge doors of the castle, and they all seem like they were wearing the same uniform. Confused on what's going on, I went over to someone nearby who was also watching what was going on.

" Uh, hey! Excuse me sir, sorry for interrupting you but.. Do you know what's going on over at the front? "

The man looked over to me and met my gaze, he was silent before replying.

" Ah, your Selene's little brother. How much you have grown. Yeah over at the front, the guard trials are happening! "

" Guard trials? "

" Yeah. Those who apply for the trial will be tested and watched by yours truly to see if they are worth being apart of the royal guards. "

" Correction, not mine truly. I don't consider this kingdom being my home nor the king ruling over where I live. But interesting with the guards trial thing. Well thank you sir. "

The kind man nodded before returning his attention to the front where the huge doors slowly opened. I looked over and saw who I assumed was the king.. God he was big, like I stared at him and instantly I wanted to leave. His size is terrifying! No wonder the gates were big. The king suddenly spoke, interrupting my thoughts.

" Ah welcome! I see we have way more participants attending the trials to become a guard! As well as that, a whole crowd! How splendid it is to see you all participate in todays trials! "

I felt maybe I should just see for another job. I may train at home but I don't want to attend a trial, so I quickly walked away. Seems the king had taken notice because I heard him call out a description that kind of matched mine as well as bringing up my sister.

" Hey, skele-horn boy with the crack on his face. Selene's brother if I'm correct? "

I froze and turned around, looking at the king who was staring at me with his three eyes.

" Y- yes? That's me. Also please. I have a name. "

" Then please come here. Usually you don't come here unless you here for a need or a want. "