Chapter 5

A sudden series of angry outbursts erupted around the table. Cassandra heard Mary gasp something like, "Outrageous!"; Hope uttered one like, "Insolent bitch," or it might have been something else because Cassandra just couldn't imagine Hope saying the word bitch; William Strindberg just said, "Oh Holy God..." and closed his eyes.

Cassandra on the other hand couldn't really find the right words—after all, she didn't really know what was going on. Thank goodness though that Philip was still in his senses because he grabbed the woman's slender shoulders and pushed her away none too gently.

"What?" Angelica asked with amusement, oblivious of the six pairs of eyes throwing daggers at her.

"What do you think are you doing, Ange?" Philip snapped and his eyes instinctively searched Cassandra's startled ones and said, "I'm sorry about that, sweetheart," he frowned up at Angelica and continued, "Angelica here seems to have had too much to drink." He reached for his wine and took a big gulp as if to erase the evidence of the woman's drink.

"I..." Cassandra started but had no idea how to continue.

Angelica's pretty head quickly turned down toward Cassandra with a frown. "So," she staggered back on her heels in two tiny steps as she looked Cassandra over. "This is your little secret fiancée?" She turned to look at Philip like he was crazy and added, "I thought she's like a goddess out of Homer's tales and not some..." she looked back at Cassandra to emphasize her point, "witless—"

"That's enough, Angelica," Chanty interrupted, held her friend by the arms and turned toward the group around the table. "I'm sorry guys, I did not intend this to happen," she turned to Cassandra and said, "I would have loved to meet you in a much better way, but..." she trailed off.

"Oh, come on, Chanty!" Angelica cried out, chuckling at her friend. "You can't mean that!"

"Get her home," William's authoritative voice spoke from the head of the table.

"I can't believe you brought her here in her condition, Chanty," Mary said with disappointment.

"Mom, I'm sorry. She started drinking early. I didn't want her to come but she insisted, saying she'd make a scene if I don't let her," Chanty apologized at the group, holding her friend tightly by the arms. "I'll go get her home now."

"That's the best thing to do," Hope nodded, looking at Angelica disapprovingly.

"No, I wanna have dinner with you guys—" Angelica started.

"No, Ange, go home," Philip's cold voice stopped her and Cassandra almost felt sorry for the poor lady.

"Let's go, Ange," Chanty ushered her friend backward, embarrassed with the attention they drew from the other guests in the restaurant. "I'll make it up to you," she said as goodbye to the group before turning her friend around.

"There's still time to back out, Philip!" Angelica shouted over her shoulder just as Chanty dragged her out of the room.

The table was silent for a very long time.

"I lost my appetite," Hope said, placing her napkin on the table.

Mary grabbed Cassandra's hand across the table and squeezed it gently, "I'm sorry about that, dear. She's not usually like that."

Cassandra was not feeling sorry at all. She was actually feeling great. The dinner was coming to an end without a lot of effort from her part. "That's okay—"

"Of course it's not okay!" Hope fumed. "That girl needs some help."

"Couldn't agree more," William shook his head slowly as he said that. "Ever since she lost her sister and mother..." his words trailed off as he shook his head.