Chapter 32

Words escaped her and none came out of her mouth.

Cassandra stared at the papers like they were her archenemy. She despised the sight of them. She wanted them to burn right in Philip's hand and he could burn with them as well because she hated him right that moment.

He appeared calm and collected like that time he appeared in front of her in the coffee shop.

"This is probably what you wanted to talk about, right?" he said.

"W-what?" she stuttered in a whisper, her mind busy trying to stop the tears that were trying to break free.

"Dennis is awake and obviously wants you back. I can talk with your father. I don't see any threat coming my way or yours now that Henry is almost done with his job."

"What do you mean?"

He shrugged. "I needed you for a wife to protect myself, my family and the business. Believe it or not, marrying you was the only way to save myself from some enemies."

"Philip, what the hell are you talking about?"

"Your father can explain everything. By the time the divorce is finalized, your father and I will have won our game of chess and you will get your answers."

Her mouth fell open, her mind muddled, confused.

He looked at her for a brief moment before adding, "I don't think I need you anymore, Cass." He placed the papers on the nearest table and with his crutches limped his way to his office.

Scream, her mind ordered, but her tongue held her back.

Two balls of tears escaped her eyes. Her lips trembled to stop the rest from falling because she couldn't break down now. She couldn't even open her mouth without whimpering.

A strong force was wrenching her heart and she couldn't breathe at all. Her knees wobbled and she steadied herself on the table, her hands right on top of the papers. She snatched them, balling her hand with what was left of her strength and pushed away from the table, willing herself to turn and walk. She needed to go to her room. There, she could cry and break down.

Go, Cassandra, go, another voice ordered.

No, go knock on that door and say the words, a contradicting thought said.

But with a whimper, she followed the first voice and forced herself to take the steps up the stairs and there she cried like a child. But she cried silently, muffling the sounds with her pillows.

What a freaking day.

She went to reject Dennis and came home to be rejected. And she wasn't even able to make her proposal yet!

By the time her tears drained dry, Philip's words ran around her mind.

I don't think I need you anymore, Cass...

And so Cassandra ordered herself to get up.

*****

She took his car. He could rot in that house with his crutches and she wouldn't care.

Bargaining, denial, and acceptance could come later. Right now she was just plain angry—angry at him, and herself mostly. How could she have been stupid to think he'd want to keep her? When did she start to forget that he married her for a reason? And when did she start hoping that he might not want to let her go?

Yes, she could have walked right up to him and talk some sense, but a lot of things ran around her head. Maybe he was itching to get her out of his life. Didn't he say that he and her father were winning the game?