Chapter 9: Avalon

Why did Josh hit him? What was with this Emily? She seemed to be everywhere. What happened to her? Would he ever tell me?

I looked over at him, wanting to ask so many questions. Instead I stayed quiet, looking back beyond the 'new' world I see.

We pulled into the driveway, the house still amazed me. We grabbed all the bags from the back, laughing as Josh tried to carry all of them at once. Though that didn't work. I opened up the door for him, the house was cool, but warmer than outside, for the sun had already set. We brought everything up to my room, setting everything on the bed. My room. Sounded so weird to say.

"We will wash them before putting them away," Josh said with a smile. He held his hand, covering the bruise.

"You should put some ice on that," I suggested, he chuckled.

"You a doctor?" he teased as I laughed.

"No, but I know how to take care of someone after a fight," I truthfully said, becoming more trusting with him about my past.

"I'm sorry," he said with teary eyes. I walked over to comfort him.

"Don't be, please," I smiled, rubbing his arm. "Show me how to wash the clothes," I said, changing the subject.

    He brought me to the laundry room, it was bigger than expected. It was clean, and the colors represented the other rooms of the house. We took off all the tags off the clothes, placing them in the washer. Though leaving all the whites out. He showed me the measurements of the soaps, and the settings to put them in. it satisfied me, how it was all hand free.

    "Think you can remember it all?" he teased, I lightly pushed his shoulder, laughing as he acted all offended.

    "I think I can manage," I replied.

"Wanna watch a movie?" he asked, "I'm a great movie picker," he laughed.

"Alright, you pick, I haven't seen one in a long time," I laughed.

We walked over to the living room, the TV was huge, bigger than I've ever seen. The couch was a C shape. White with black throw pillows, and blankets. I sat down, sinking into the cushions. Josh sat beside me, pulling up a blanket, picking a movie. I watched as he went by them all. How could he choose if there were so many choices?

He settled on the movie 'A Dog's Purpose,' then motioned for me to come closer. I moved in, leaning into his scent that gave me flutters every breath. The warmth from his chest reminded me from last night, as he held me after the nightmare. I laid my head on his shoulder, watching as the dog Bailey met his family.

The movie was sad, by the end my eyes flooded with tears in Josh's arms. A few had formed in his as well.

"You're the worst movie picker," I teased, wiping the tears from my eyes, and hitting him on the shoulder. He laughed.

"Okay okay, maybe that wasn't the best movie to watch tonight," he agreed, he looked at me, placing a hand on my cheek. I flinched at the move but then leaned into it, as he wiped a tear away from my cheek with his thumb. His hand was warm, and soft. It felt safe, I cursed the way my body flinched to his touch.

He pulled away as the door opened, and his parents walked in. I focused on the dying warmth on my cheek, where his hand laid. I didn't want to go back to reality, but forced myself to do a reality check. How much time had passed?

His parents walked into the living room, his mother passing a glare. I shifted uncomfortably under her gaze, till looking towards Josh, his eyes showed a glimpse of anger.

"I'll go check the laundry," I said, wanting to get out of there fast.

"Do you need any help?" Josh asked, "you think you can remember everything?" he teased.