Chapter 1 ~ Anna

I looked at him. I was going to leave, even though I knew my life was here in London, not where my parents wanted me to be. I'm going to miss it, I know that. The way his curly yellow hair stands in front of him, his black and shiny glasses ... Everything about him makes me go crazy
-We'll meet again, Anna, I know that.
I wanted to cry, but I refrained. I turned to the carriage that was to there take us to France, Paris. Then I looked at him again. Maybe for the last time.

I rose my feet because he was much taller than me and kissed him, as I never did. Tears streamed down my face. He was wrong. I couldn't go back to him. I detached my lips from his and rested my forehead on him.
-I'm going to miss you, Archild.
-I'll miss you too..

I hugged him, but it didn't last long. The carriage wanted to leave.
-My darling. Can you move faster? my mother told me.
-Immediate!
I let Archild go and advanced to the carriage. I grabbed the bar of the chair and got into it. I saw him differently from here. I knew he would fall in love with another girl and I would fall in love with another boy. I sat in the carriage seat. It was hard for me, but I hoped it wouldn't take long and I would recover from the breakup.
-We can go? asked the horseman.
-Yes, I said. We can.

The leaving was difficult. I never imagined that I would have to say goodbye to the boy I had grown up with. We've been friends since we were 4 years old. Our parents had met at a prom organized by the McRoy family, with whom they had known each other since college. I didn't realize then that he would become the boy of my dreams, which I fell in love with. I only knew Archild, the one with the nose in the books, who rode his grandfather's bike or every time we met, who hated to meet other children his age, because he knew he had me. I was always with him. Somehow, it was the parents who "arranged" our meeting. Without them, I wouldn't have known him. And I probably never would have liked him. I had to leave the past behind. Otherwise, the future has nothing there for me.
-Anna. Are you ok?
-Yes mom.
- Your sister has already integrated well there. Maybe you'll make friends, you'll bring them home.

My fear was to be put in the position of inviting friends home. It's very hard for me to do that, because I'm not that kind. My sister, Elizabeth, who I can say is even two years younger than me, stands out in everything she does and my parents want me to be more than her. To leave the books for a few hours and have fun. But I did that and here's where it went ... I have to start over.

-How's she doing?
-Who? I asked my mother, apparently waking  her from dream state.
-Elizabeth. There.
-Oh. Yes! There are many girls her age who speak English, because they have just moved. Look. Do you promise me something?
-Yes? What?
-Talk to the people.Socialize! Remember that you are still a teenager. You have nothing to pay, you have no children... You have to get a boyfriend!
-I had.
-Archibald? Noo. You've known him since you were little. You fit in, but I have nothing to do now. I give you four months to learn French from your loved one. A boy. If not, I'll bring you friends.

Did she already wanted to forget Archibald? After all the years spent? All the memories? My mother didn't think very well sometimes, did she?
-Okay. I accept.
-Oh! And you need to tell your new friend that you are going to make, to stay overnight someday. -Mother. I haven't even gotten there and I already have too much to do.
-I would have liked that at your age. My parents were a little too strict.

I don't know why my mother wanted to set me free so much. I haven't read about it in books either! My friends in London had such strict parents! I don't think there is anyone who doesn't. But it seems that the exception is myself, who I would give anything for my parents to lock me in the room and read, as punishment.

-Can you please give me a sheet to write the list? I asked
-You don't need a list, my mother approached me and put her hand on my dress. You always tried to be a good and nice girl, because your sister is not. So, I don't mind if you become freer too.

I looked at her and I knew I should do what she told me, because that's how she is. If I don't, I'm sure she'll do it for me. You know what? Why wouldn't I do it? I will forget about my boring life and, once I arrive in Paris, I became a different person. This way, I could even become a poet, as I always wanted, because I need new experiences to write. I took a piece of paper out of my pocket and wrote:
I hope you see this
Even if you're away from it
Oh, oh, Archibald, "
It was the beginning of my poetry. I crumpled it and pushed it back into my dress pocket. I didn't know how to continue. I didn't have the imagination. I leaned back and slowly closed my eyes. I needed to fall asleep. I had to..