Bad News Boys

I couldn't look away. Even if I wanted to. It's like being held hostage against my will.

I just stared at them and stared at them for as long as they were staring at me.  It was as if something clicked and connected and now we are all somehow connected by some invisible tread. Fate?

I noticed none at them were actually similar. Despite the skin tone and the color of their hair. I noticed the youngest one has the smallest built and the lightest tone of dark brown hair. The other guy was big, muscled like a defensive back on a football team. And then, there's him, the one that seemed to demand my attention most. A tall lean guy who still has a face of a teenager and yet can be intimidating. He's immaculately handsome.

I know I'm gawking at them and I couldn't help it.

My stare was broken when one of them finally moved. The biggest one, his demeanor seemed to scream leader of the group. He placed his hand on the tall handsome boy and shook his shoulder. He was mouthing words too far away for me to hear.

The handsome boy nodded. He only broke his gaze once the muscled boy was done talking and sighed gathering his uneaten food into his tray. 

"Don't stare at them." I heard James's soft voice behind my ear. "Those guys are weird and dangerous. Everyone at school avoids them."

I took a deep breath, getting distreacted is a welcome relief. I turned to look at him. James's face was too close that I was prompted to move an inch away. "What do you mean?"

He grabbed the tip of my elbow and guided me to walk with him, handing me a rather good looking ham sandwich. He winked, and something told me he must've suspected I wouldn't appreciate the school menu. I took the sandwich casually unwrapping the plastic cover and started eating. 

"I told you it was a bad idea to eat alone." James smiled at me. There's something so intimate about his smile and the way he watched me eat his given sandwich. "Good thing I was nearby to rescue you or else who knows what could have happened?"

"I doubt they would have done anything."

"They were staring you down like a bunch of freaks."

"I think they were just as curious as the rest of everybody else."

He walked me down the hall to my next class. To my relief, James and I didn't share the same class this time. He smacked his tongue in disappointment once he chaperoned me by the door. "That's too bad, we could have been together all day every day at school."

Seemed like too much to ask. 

I grinned at him. "I doubt you would want that much of me. I could be really boring."

At least we made it to my next class early enough. The teacher was already inside the classroom waiting for his students to arrive when I introduced myself. He sent me to table by the window. He said those seats are empty.

I could see why as soon as I made it to the table. The area is crowded with glass containers and all kinds of tubes and equipment for Biology class. It was too cramp to get comfortable. 

I dropped my backpack and got myself situated when soon a familiar person walked in.

It was him. The strange boy from the cafeteria who captured my gaze earlier.

He strutted inside the room with even stealthy walk that could make any hunter jealous. I was already watching him when he noticed me.

Our eyes met and he went rigid. Slowing down almost to a halt.

I gasped nervously wanting to apologize for my odd behavior. It's not my normal hobby to stare at people. But as strange as it was, I think I smelled his scent, too distinct and too aromatic for me to ignore. It was hypnotic. 

He carried on on his way. For a moment I thought he was going to take the empty seat beside me but he chose the seat behind instead.

I listened as he got comfortable with my heart pounding. Once he got settled, he leaned. "That's usually my seat." The handsome boy with tan skin and silky dark hair said to me.

My mouth hanged lost with what to say. What exactly do you say after someone told you that?

Do I move out of the seat?

Nothing on his expression or the tone of his voice told me whether he's upset or not.

"Um, I could move." I said uncertain.

Slowly, his is lips pulled into a smile putting me at ease. "It's fine. I'm not attached to it." And leaned back with his eyes never leaving mine.

"My name is Grace by the way. I saw you and your friends at the cafeteria."

"Jake." He said vacantly.

I waited for him to say more but he just kinda left it there, staring at me quietly. I was persuaded to end the small talk immediately. Maybe he's the kind of person who just likes to observe the things around him and don't enjoy meaningless conversations.

My attention withdrew to the front of the class. Steady stream of students arriving taking their seats. The bell is about to ring any minute now.

It didn't take long before I was compelled to peek at him again, my curious nagging at me. Jake met my eyes, seeing the specks of brown scattered in his hazel eyes. They look like sprinkled peppers trapped inside his eyes.

Then I noticed the way he's staring back, the same curiosity that masked his face. A familiar yet unfamiliar gaze, as if he was trying to figure me out as much as I am trying to figure him out.

My eyes would soon betray me, I never knew how intimidating a boy's intense eye contact could be. Shyly my eyes jerked to the floor and I've never been so annoyed with myself for making it too obvious.

Mine

The word slipped into my head crisp and clear. And there's no mistaken it, it was the same sound that came out of his lips.

"Did you say something?" I brought my attention back to him, my face still burning.

It was his turn to flush. Suddenly, his face that seemed so sure rearranged into a combination of surprised and shocked.

"What did you hear?" He asked cautiously, his body leaning forward.

"Mine? Nine? I'm not sure. It sounded like your voice."

He shook his head carefully. "I did not say anything out loud."

"I heard your voice. I mean it sounded like your voice."

It doesn't make sense, why would he lie about something like that. Did he really want his seat back?

"Maybe." He said. "Next time, I'll be careful what I let slip through my mind."

It was my turn to look confused, but conversation was cut short when our teacher began speaking. The class was starting.

****

The bell finally rang after what felt like an eternity. It has proven to be very difficult trying to keep myself together. Holding still and staying calm felt like an impossible task especially when I know Jake was right there, practically staring at me the whole time. And I couldn't help but steal glimpses of him from time to time despite being aware of his eyes glued on me.

Each time I looked back, he was there meeting my eye contact.

It was overwhelming. Intimidating. And most of all, very distracting.

It was an agonizing 90 minutes before I could finally escape this crippling tension between us.

I bolted out of there as soon as the bell rang loudly unable to endure anymore of what's happening. I was out of the door before anyone else, leaving Jake in his seat staring at me as I quickly disappeared to the other side of the wall.

There's never been a time when I felt this overwhelmed over the presence of someone. It was upsetting and confusing especially when I kept hearing soft murmurs of his voice in my head. Part of his thoughts I couldn't put together. It was scary, and mind boggling. This boy is on the verge of driving me crazy.