Bright Yellow Flower

I have given up looking for Jake by the time I made it to Biology class. If I were to see him anywhere, this would certainly be the right place. 

I took my seat to the same spot as yesterday, settling my backpack on the  floor when he walked in like a dream came alive. His long hair tucked neatly in a ponytail, he wore the same dark colored jeans and shirt. Each clip of his steps precise and lethal. There's a hidden danger in him that I just can't explain. 

His eyes were trained on me. Not once he let his stare slipped somewhere else or get distracted.

I bit my lips hard, trying to contain any sort of reaction wanting to betray me as he comes near.

His fingers seemed to be playing with a stem of bright yellow flower that looked like he just plucked from the front garden of the school.

I managed to let out the breath I didn't know I was holding as soon as he walked by and dropped to his seat.

I didn't say anything, but I knew he was still looking at me, I can feel his intense gaze on the back of my neck until he shifted forward and leaned his elbows on the side of his table.

From the corner of my eyes, I saw him, his head pressed on the table. A subtle hint of smile playing on his lips. He's toying with the bright yellow flower he'd been holding with his fingers.

"Do you like yellow daffodils?" He asked in his deep hush tone.

I can't say that I do but I didn't know what to say at the time. "I do."

His hidden smile stretched and pushed the welting flower to me. I took it from him. Confused with what to do with it.

"So, you and James Summers?" He began. "What is your relationship with him?"

I flushed red. Heat escaping out of my chest. "Ummm...."

I have no idea he could be so bold. I struggled on my seat, not exactly knowing how to react or answer his inquiry, hoping he'd let me off the hook, but Jake kept his curious gaze waiting for an answer I wasn't sure how to express.

"H-he's a friend." I said carefully.

"You two shared a ride yesterday, you ate his food offerings, and I saw you two walking together in the hallway earlier."

I swallowed a lump on my throat. How'd he knew we were together? I didn't see him at all. "Yes, he offered me a ride home and we share the same first two classes together."

"Do you like him?"

"No."

"Then why do you take his food offerings?"

"I don't know. I just like to eat." Just as most werewolves does. 

Jake's dark eyes softened as though sensing honesty in my voice. Easiness enveloping him now while I let my stiff shoulders relaxed. I had no idea we were both tensed.

"Why do you ask?"

Jake picked himself back up and leaned far away, back to the edge of his table. He gave me an easy shrug without as much as muttering anything.

It seemed rude and dismissive, but I could also see the relief on his face.

We soon lapsed into the quietness. Jake had not said anything else the rest of the class even though the sting of his glare kept a burning a hole on my skin.

I took casual glimpses of him every now and then with him faithfully meeting my gaze each time.

The weekend couldn't come any faster. Today is Saturday and I was woken up earlier than I would have wanted. Mom came to my room telling me the moving truck is finally arriving.

After three long weeks. It finally made its way from central Florida to northern California. At long last, I wouldn't be sleeping on the hard floor anymore. I will have my own bed.

I never knew such small things that seemed so insignificant can be a luxury when you don't have access to them. A bed must've been the best thing anyone could have ever invented.

"The movers are coming at around 11, Grace. Get up!" Mom told me through the crack of my barely open door.

I checked the time on my phone. It's 8:03. "That's three hours from now."

"I know. But I need you to help tidy up the house. Get things out of the way so the movers wouldn't be tripping or trying to avoid stepping into things."

A moan escaped my lips and dropped the phone from my hand. My body told me I could get another hour or two of sleep before the movers come. "It doesn't take long to get things out of the way. I can do it in ten minutes."

Mom groaned in irritation and entered my room. "Oh no, you don't. Your idea of cleaning is different from my idea of cleaning."

She yanked my shoulder and shook me.

"Mine is called working smarter, mom."

"No, it's called half-assing." She growled.

A giggle escaped my lips.

"Plus, I have some local boys coming over to help out."

My eyes snapped open and the mention of local boys.

"What do you mean local boys?"

She flashed me a mischievous grin. "Oh yeah, I was asking around the grocery store about kids I could hire for a couple hours of work but the local sheriff..."

Mom couldn't hide the luxurious smile that jumped on her face at the thought of the sheriff. He must be one hot sheriff to put that kind of smile on my mom's face.

"The local sheriff said he could send volunteers from the local youth club to help out free of charge."

"Seriously?"

"Yeah seriously." She shook me a little more violently this time. "So, now you have to get cleaned and presentable if you want those boys checking you out."

I rolled my eyes. No one is going to check me out. Mom seemed to be more excited about the idea of men coming to our house than getting our things delivered.

Single middle aged women!

She forced me off my sheets and I rolled out of my blanket, getting up and slinking my way out of my bedroom.

By the time 11 arrived, mom stepped out to the porch searching for the truck. A rumble of an old engine came roaring down the rocky road instead. The youth volunteers arrived first before the moving truck did.

"Come Grace," mom called from the driveway. "Come greet our helpers."