A Pity Gift

Hera hesitates before admitting what she needs from me. In a way, I think I am beginning to sense it myself. The only thing that I have to offer that she does not have. 

I touch the belt on my waist subtly, waiting for her word to confirm what I now know. 

Hera narrows her eyes, observing me, waiting to see if I will make her say it. 

Of course, I will. 

"May I borrow it?" Hera finally breaks her pride. 

"For Zeus? Or a new prospect?" I have to ask. I can't not tease her in a moment like this. Where I finally have influence, some kind of power that I can offer her. First, there must be a jest of some sort. 

Hera rolls her eyes away from my view. "...Zeus. My own husband, alright? I'm not up to anything else but what I should be." 

I smile. "As you should be, you say?" 

"I just...need a little help getting back his attention this time." Hera mumbles. I can nearly feel her crumbling. 

My hands unbuckle the belt slowly. Considering carefully...but when I look at her. I feel an influx of pity. She is struggling with something I never have...and yet I self-pity as if I have every problem in the world. Don't I?

I finally rip it away from my body and hold it out to her. 

She doesn't speak but takes it from me gently, without even a little bit of snark. Only a nod of affirmation. Her minuscule way of saying thanks. 

"I will be back for it in the morning." I set my limit sternly. 

Hera nods again. "Hestia and I will host you for breakfast." 

I crinkle my nose and hold up my hand. "-Not sure I'd like to go that far. Sounds a bit too friendly...though remind me again why I haven't had a proper introduction with Hestia." 

Hera laughs in her usual confident demeanor and pats my hand. A little too friendly, too quickly, if you ask me. "She spends most of her time in the kitchen and then she walks around, checking in with the guests closer to the end of the night...and you don't typically linger long or introduce yourself when you visit, do you? You only stick to who you know unless they show up at your door."

Oh, okay. Right back to it. 

I grimace, and take her point. "My interactions with my fellow Goddesses hasn't exactly been friendly, has it." I ask rhetorically. 

She tries to answer but I've already decided to leave. "I'll see you in the morning."

Such a lovely morning it will be. 

Hopefully it won't distract me too much from getting back to serving the revenge Psyche is owed. Although...taking a minor break for one single day couldn't subside my plans too much. After all, seeing my lack of action might convince Eros to come back. 

I know he hates my vengeful ways. It leaves me in a state of remiss. Having to choose between acting out what my instincts for myself tell me, versus what my few motherly instincts are telling me. 

I enter the hallway with conflicted and clenched fists, leaving Hera alone to wait for Zeus. 

For a moment upon entering back into the party, I look around the room for any unfamiliar faces. It appears that nearly everyone is here tonight, some faces I know well, some are only vaguely familiar. Faces I have identified through someone else telling me who they are. Among them I don't see Hades, but of course, that is typical. It's a rare occasion to see that face.

I do see a woman however, scurrying about with a tray, picking up empty glasses, smiling at everyone as she moved around, picking things up and making pleasantries. Is that her? 

She walks quickly, and humbly, to my surprise. She is a modest, with a warm smile, and slightly curly blonde hair down to her shoulders. On her head, she wears a flower crown, the pink of the flowers matching her dress and sandals. 

Hmm, she is everything placed perfectly together that you could be. Perhaps, she is everything motherly that I lack...interesting. 

I wonder what she thinks of me-

I close my eyes in frustration, trying to ward off those thoughts for now. I can't obsess over that right now. She can't be that harsh in opinion of me if she would host me for breakfast. Then again, her and Hera must spend quite a bit of time talking to each other, living in such close proximity to each other. 

My gosh, do they have breakfast and gossip together every day? They must!

My cheeks flush, my brief moment of wishing to linger and introducing myself evaporating. I approach Ares with purpose and grab his arm to alert him. Harmonia is still in his arms. Good. Less time to waste before getting out of here. 

"I know, I know." Ares whispers. "Just give me one minute, I have to speak with my father. I think I may need his help with something tomorrow." 

"Oh stop." I answer quickly, tugging on his arm even more. "He's going to be busy." 

"What has gotten into you?" Ares chuckles. "Fine, if you're so sure." 

"I am." I insist, more gently. 

"How can I resist that face." He shakes his head. "Let's go without saying goodbye."

"Sounds amazing." I wink, sneaking us both towards the door, dragging the big lug of a man behind me. Both of us somehow remaining unseen and unheard right up until closing the door. I heard Zeus holler a slightly drunken goodbye as we gain our freedom.

The night sky in all its glory was waiting for us. I can't help but smile genuinely as I take a moment to look back up at it. Ares stays silent, perhaps enjoying the sight of the stars just as much, or just observing me enjoy them. A rare sight of appreciation. 

It's one of the things I appreciate most about the universe. I still remember the first time I saw them, on my wedding night, sitting out here with Hephaestus. It took me a moment to take it in, just as it is now. 

After a few more minutes, I inhale deeply and look back at Ares, already looking at me. Just waiting, holding our daughter. 

I feel everything coming together. Decisions forming, solidifying in my mind. 

"What?" He asks quietly, knowing that something is coming. 

I take a step forward, knowing what I have the right to ask for. What I want isn't anything more. 

"You have been right about many things, Ares." I reach him, barely coming up to his shoulder. I reach up and take hold of his cheek. "You know me sometimes better than I know myself. Don't know if that's a good thing all the time but..." I sigh. "...I don't care if we ever get married. Your war is what you are. You can't give that up and still exist as you are...as I love you." 

Ares shifts, listening intently, but bracing for whatever I am leading up to. 

"I accept for you to be you. I hate it sometimes, but it has to be fair between us. I am fine on my own most of the time, in fact, I need to be." I tell him sadly. "I have to learn to not hold hostages, whether that be you, or Eros." 

Ares tilts his head, finally understanding. "I promise I won't ever leave again without telling you first." 

"As long as you come back to me, that is all I ask." I whisper. 

Ares smiles and tugs me forward, finally feeling that the belt around my waist is gone. "Ah, I see why Zeus may be busy." He kisses me, "Might be the same reason we might be busy." He pulls me as close as we can be with Harmonia between us. "And you don't even need the belt to make me want you." 

I smile, feeling a tingle of excitement already. "Don't get too excited until our daughter is safe in her crib."