Chapter 1: Apple

Apple woke up in her classic fairytale fashion, she sat up and stretched as doves came in through the window and pulled her covers back for her. Greeting her with a lovely melody and a breeze from outside. The princess stood and set foot into her fuzzy red slippers.

"Why good morning birdies", she greeted back as one landed on her outstretched finger. She gently petted it and it flew back out the window.

She patted herself on the back for doing this whole routine perfectly, as it was expected. Afterall one day she was going to be the next Snow White.

Apple sat down at her redwood vanity and started her facial routine, so her pale white skin always looks its best and was the fairest of all, trying to mirror her mom as much as possible. As she was putting her makeup on her mirror phone suddenly started to ring.

It was a call from her mom, "What would she be calling about?'' she wondered and grew a bit nervous. Apple accepted the call and her mom's face came into the screen.

"Why good morning dear, did you sleep well?" She appeared to be at the desk of her job in her tall glass tower. Not only was she the fairest in the land, but she was also a powerful royal executive.

"Good morning mother, yes I did." Apple replied with a perfect smile.

"Good, good" Her mother nodded as her gold giant crown bobbed on her ebony black curls.

"Is something the matter?" Apple asked not sure why she suddenly called.

"Well dear, things aren't looking as best as they could for you". Her mother looked down in dismay.

"What do you mean?" questioned Apple with concern in her voice.

"You're starting your next year at Ever After High, and you haven't been through any trials as a princess. I mean have you ever been in any sort of distress or even saved by a prince?"

Apple shook her head, though she sure had been in distress. For example, right now from this phone call, but she wouldn't tell her that. As you could tell her mom was a bit old fashioned, her definition of a princess was someone being saved from a witch while looking perfect in a poofy dress.

She didn't dare to question it, she didn't want to defy or upset her mother if she did so.

Her mother continued "You haven't even put yourself through anything, no challenge whatsoever! You are not even that popular."

Apple had lots of friends though she supposed she wasn't her best self and could improve.

"What do I do mother?"

"Go out there and find some disaster and be saved, practice for your fairytale destiny."

Apple didn't know why anyone would purposefully put themselves through danger but as she looked at her mom through the screen and in the building of the empire, she built she knew she had more experience and should listen to her.

At Apples pause she continued "You don't want me to be disappointed, do you?". She asked, blue eyes piercing through the screen.

"I won't disappoint you '' Apple complied even through the odd request.

"That's what I want to hear dear, call me when you get it all fixed, bye love you!!" She waved through the phone.

Apple smiled at her mom as she hung up even through wanting to frown. She knew that frowning wouldn't cheer up anyone around her, so she got up, got dressed and set out of the palace.

Before she left her best butler Grumpy the dwarf looked up at her "Ok be careful, your mom's advice can be uhhhhhhh how do I say this without sounding disrespectful. Um dramatic and nonsensical."

"Oh Grumpy, I got this!" Apple reassured the tiny dwarf glaring up at her.

As she turned to go down the stairs to the main castle door his face suddenly went softer. At the last stop he blurted out, "You know Apple," she turned to look up at him.

"Being a real princess is not whatever your mom has been teaching you. Being a princess is being kind, brave and strong. You know, like caring for others. Something you already do exceptionally well at, ok? You don't need to be perfect! You got that?"

She ran up and gave him a hug "Thank you grumpy", she smiled.

"Whatever, just don't do whatever that was again" he grumped "Your mom is strong too she's just got wrapped up in her head. Just don't add all that perfection and popularity stuff and you'll do fine."

"Don't worry I'll keep that all in mind" she assured him heading back to the door.

He sighed and went back to his dwarven duties.

She started walking through the woods behind her castle and as she walked the sun started going down, it must have been hours. Yet there was still no trouble to be found.

Stopping to sit down at a rock, she talked to a deer or two there about her insecurities.

"I know he's right. There is so much more to being a princess, but I can't displease my mom. It's bad enough I have this stupid blonde hair that's stopping me from looking like her." she said tugging at her blonde locks.

She started to wonder about her life, what was after all of this?

Trying to please everyone, would she have to keep this up forever?

Apple didn't want that life, she wanted to be herself.

But all thoughts stopped as she saw a blast of purple fire coming at her as the deer dispersed from her surroundings.