Chapter 1

NOVEMBER 7TH 1983 - 8:50 AM - Maha

Maha started out of her sleep and covered her ears as she heard her alarm beep loudly. Her eyes wide and heart racing as the blinding incandesence of the fire faded to reveal the plain pastel blue walls of her room. She felt around her table for the clock, knocking her glasses off in the process while snoozing her alarm, only allowing her to hear her parents argument more clearly.  Maha rolled her eyes and jabbed the play button on her radio which filled the room with AC/DC's Back in Black which just about drowned out the echoes of her dad's shouts.

This had become a morning ritual in their household that Maha had grown used to it over the past fifteen or so years. Regardless of which house, town or country they lived in her parents managed to argue about one thing or another at least once a week. In their other residences neighbours would knock with noise complaints but their current abode was in a suspiciously deserted part of town where there were for people let alone people her age. Her mother enforced a strict curfew of 5pm everyday and Maha was to never go anywhere alone particularly when its dark. 

The front door slammed as she brushed her teeth in her ensuite signalling her dad leaving the house. She then heard her music being cut off abruptly and exited the bathroom to see her mother.

"Breakfast's on the table and next to it is lunch. Don't forget it this time." She said quickly. "And...good luck with your Chemistry test."

"That's tomorrow." She reminded, moving her toothbrush to one side so she could speak clearly.

"I know, I won't be in town for the rest of the week. I'm staying over at the Owens because of work. Your dad's going to be working late again so I'll be leaving the keys with you. Make sure to lock the doors okay?  I'm trusting you to follow your curfew, for the rest of the week. If you need anything ask Mrs MIthcell."

Maha grimaced at the mention of the old lady's name. "Don't pull that face Maha, she's a nice lady and even offered to check on you if I was worried, I didn't want you to be disturbed from your studying." 

"She's a nosy old bat mother." Maha complained rinising her mouth and face. "Always prying."

"Precisely why I haven't let her come inside and check on you. She's an old lady Maha, with a small fault and I trust her to be honest with me."

"Okay fine...

Working as a full time nurse, demanded long hours of Mrs Prasad, meaning she had few days off. Since there were no decent jobs available for her level of expertise in Hawkins, her mother continued working in Chicago to ensure that one person in the family had a stable job. That was her justification, each time she missed a birthday or parent teacher conference. 

She sighed and jammed the button on her radio to restart the music and got dressed.

Around ten minutes later Maha skipped down her front steps, shoving her keys into her pocket. Barb waved from her car. Maha smiled and quickly entered the car.