Prologue

Authors Note:

Authors Note:

Hi, so before you continue reading I'd like to warn that this story covers some mature themes including mentions of physical/domestic and emotional abuse and their psychological impacts. I will add Trigger Warnings at the beginning of chapters to ensure readers are forewarned. Please do comment if I forget on any chapters but this serves as an overall warning as there will be mentions of it across the story and I wanted to warn any readers who may have missed this note in the description.

Thank you for reading Polaroids.

Maya.

TEN YEARS AGO

⚠️TW: Abuse⚠️

The sky was a crepuscular colour as the sun slowly slipped away, allowing night's darkness to gradually trickle into it and smother the remnants of the sun's golden glow. The path of Magnolia Street were lit by a warm glow emitted by the street lights. They led to a small apartment block with twelve 2 bedroom flats.

In one of these is where the Prasads, former of four now a family of three lived. It has been exactly three years since Kali was abducted from a shop near their former home in London. Three years since they had moved to their new apartment in Magnolia Street and had a fresh start as a family of three.

Maha had only few vague memories of her sister as she was only two years old at the time of Kali's disappearance. Her parents had told her that Kali's sick and is getting treated at a hospital abroad to protect her at least temporarily from the pain of the loss of her sister. 

After Kali's disappearance Maha learnt the truly two faced nature of her father through his actions. Mrs Prasad felt that it was these actions that made Kali run away from home. 

Mr Prasad seemed to have forgotten that his eldest daughter ever existed, as he seemed far too focused on his job to show any care of affection to his family. His mood remained temperamental and after Kali's disappearance Maha learned to fear and be wary of her father. 

The front door of the Prasad's apartment creaked open and Maha fled to her room and hugged her large brown monkey soft toy, that acted as a soft shield and reassured the little girl. As she gripped tightly she hoped that her father was in a good mood. 

Mr Prasad said nothing as he passed her room and Maha could hear the soft thud followed by the sound of Mr Prasad slumping into the living room sofa. "So...what's for dinner tonight?"

Mrs Prasad ignored his presence and continued preparing dinner. Maha thought her father sounded fairly calm and so she crept out of her room slowly, peaking into the living room hesitantly and continuing with her drawing.