chapter 3: this charming man

chapter namesake: this charming man by the smiths

a/n at end

*warning: brief mentions of bullying*

~

The next morning you awoke to the sound of the frighteningly loud birds outside, whistling about in the tree next to your window, summoning you out of your sleep. Sitting up with a stern look on your face, you glanced over to the clock sitting on your nightstand, reading: 6:45 A.M. That was quite early for you, however, you decided to get up anyway as you heard your cat, Luster, meowing and pawing at the door to free himself of your room.

"I know, I know." You grumbled, stumbling sleepily over to the door and opening it, immediately fully awakened by the smell of bacon coming from the kitchen. Rubbing your eyes with the back of your hand, you rushed to the kitchen, Ma never cooked breakfast.

"What's the special occasion?" You smiled at her as you stood in the doorway of the kitchen parlor, she looked over to you in surprise.

"Oh, damn!" She exclaimed, jumping out of her skin almost, shaking the pan, "You scared me, I didn't realize you'd be up so early, pumpkin." You sauntered over to the small kitchen table nestled comfortably in the corner under the tiny window of the parlor, comfortably sitting down.

"You never cook breakfast," Putting your hand under your chin, adding, "well, at least whenever I'm here."

"The special occasion was for me," She looked back at you and smirked, "but since you are up as well... I'll cook some for you too." You took notice of how much livelier your mother looked, the full day of rest yesterday must've helped her.

"How was it closing last night?" She brought two plates over for you both, sitting adjacent to you, "Steve and Robin give you any trouble?"

"No, actually," You thought about the mini party/get together you all had, wondering if you should mention it, but you trashed the thought, "everything was perfectly fine."

She nodded happily, devouring her bacon, when you decided to add, "But I.. saw something else."

Looking up at you in concern, she asked, "What is it, hun?" You looked at her, should you even mention it? You didn't tell Steve or the others yesterday, but.. This was your mother, she was different. She wouldn't make fun of you for being disturbed by a mauled animal body.

"There was," You struggled to get it out, the image in your head flashing back, "there was some kind of dead animal behind the trash can.." She stopped chewing, her demeanor turned serious.

Inhaling a sharp breath, you tightened your hand in a fist, "It was... really, really, nasty looking. I couldn't even tell you what it was, everything-"

She interrupted, "I told Powell about those damn animals!" Dropping her bacon, looking angry now, she shook her head, "they've been popping up damn near all over the property! All disfigured and shit, he shook me off, sayin' it was a bear, whatever it is, they need to get rid of it!" You'd never heard your mother this angry before, but it made you relieved you weren't the only one concerned.