- 2

"Do I have to go?" Heejin complained to her mum as she moped down stairs.

More boxes piling up everywhere as one of the movers had finally arrived- unfortunately, not the one with her bed in it meaning she still had to sleep on her hard floor.
And she could swear her back was already paying for it as she dug her fingertips to a spot beside her spine that ached.

"Heejin that's enough. We're going to church and that's it. We need to make friends within the community and this is the best way to do it- within the Lords church," her mother spoke sternly. "Now go clean yourself up and meet us in the car."

And that's how Heejin found herself in the stands of her now local church. Standing awkwardly, hands clasped together in front of her white dress as she listened to the choir sing their songs.

The church wasn't too big, but it was beautiful. Large stain glass window above the pastor, red carpet laid underfoot, dark ebony wooden chairs that she was desperately wanting to sit down on- her heels digging into her feet and sending shooting pains up her legs.

Heejin cursed the movers for bringing the one box that contained these stupid heels her mother loved so much.

She felt a rush of relief when the pastor had told them to sit. The seat granting her leverage as she half listened to the man speak about the bible.

Leaning back against the chair, she began to look around. Trying to find anyone around her age to bond with if this was going to be the place she spent all her Sundays at.

Old person, old person, child, another old person.
She began crossing off the people she saw, and to her dismay, they were either old or a literal foetus in her eyes.

Heejin sighed, slouching back more as she realised that this was about to be a long few months.

It's not that she didn't believe in God, but rather she found the services utterly boring. The church was always cold and she had heard the scriptures thousands of times over she could practically recite them in her sleep.

"Darling can you sit up please," her mother whispered as quietly as she could to her daughter.

Heejin begrudgingly dragged herself back up the chair, her back pressed against the hard wooden back board which felt far more comfortable when she was slouched over.

She mostly went for her mothers sake. Adhering to her pleas that they should go as a family for "bonding time."

It was a painful two hours- but anything for her mother.

Heejin practically jumped out of her seat once the service was over. Heading straight over to the food table to grab a handful of cheese and crackers, turning around to look for her mother.

"Heejin, there you are," her mother placed her hand onto her upper arm making her turn around with her mouth full of food.

Eyes widened as she looked at the pastor and his wife. Heejin swallowed the large amount of food in her mouth, the sensation of it going down her throat making her queasy as she bowed to the pastor.

"Hello."
"Well aren't you guys a cute family," the pastor spoke looking between the three.

"Hello father, my name is Himchan and this is my wife Dasom and our daughter Heejin."
"It's such a pleasure to welcome you to our little church."

That was about the time Heejin zoned out. Eyes drifting off to gaze at one of the many chairs as she thought about how nice her bed would be about now.

"And this is my son, Mark," the pastors words went unknown to Heejin as she lazily blinked at the chair.

Her mother elbowing her in the side making her shoot up and look at her. Giving a tight smile her mother pet her arm and spoke sweetly, "father John was introducing his son to you."

"Oh right, sorry," Heejin looked back to the pastor and he smiled, "it's okay. I just wanted you to meet my son. I know there's not a lot of kids your age here so maybe you two could become friends."

He moved to the side and out walked a tall man. A suit donning his body with his black hair slicked back.

His outfit spoke authority but as her eyes drifted to his face she was met with a warm smile and glistening eyes.

She felt her body stiffen up under his gaze, despite his eyes being as large as boba pearls.

"Hello, I'm Mark," he bowed to her parents and she followed suit.

"Hello Mark, aren't you a handsome young man," her mother dotted and his hand came up to his neck muttering out a thank you.

"Why don't you show Heejin around the church Mark, I'll settle in Himchan and Dasom," Marks father spoke and Mark nodded his head, extending his hand out to direct the girl.

She watched him nervously as she followed slightly behind him.

"So, Heejin. What brings you to our little church?"

—————

Soooooo what are your thoughts so far?