X

THE END OF November brought snow and slush and clouds, three things that Stevie most definitely did not appreciate, especially when it got in the way of her and James' training sessions. Honestly, she thought James was being a bit of a baby, cancelling their training all because of a bit of snow, but she let him off the hook. Besides, all this new free time gave her time to visit Maria.

"You look like shit," Stevie said, plopping down on the chair next to Maria's bed. Madam Pomfrey gave her a stern look from where she was, tending to a sick second year.

"Yes, well I broke an arm and a leg and have pretty severe internal bleeding, so," Maria said. She sighed.

"Yeah, but that was like a month ago," Stevie said, swinging her legs on top of Maria's bed.

"Turns out magic can't fix everything," Maria said, wincing as she moved to sit up straighter.

Stevie looked over at the bedside table. A couple sweets were scattered on top, as well as a dying bouquet. "Has Sebastian been visiting often," she asked, fingering the brittle petals.

"Ah," said Maria, glancing over at the wilting bouquet. "That one's a fresh wound."

"What d'you mean?"

"Seb dumped me," Maria said, a sad smile on her face. "Two weeks ago. Gave me those flowers to make himself feel less guilty, I suppose."

"What an asshole," Stevie said, crossing her arms. "I swear, when I see him next, he's a dead man."

"Yes, well," Maria started, her eyes glazed over as she fixed them on the bouquet, "Seb's known for his high standards. He only wants the best, and I'm not the best anymore."

"But you'll get better," Stevie said, placing her hand on Maria's arm gently.

"Stevie, I can barely move without feeling like I'm getting stabbed," Maria said, looking straight into Stevie's brown eyes, "I'm not getting better any time soon. And even if I did, I doubt Seb'll put me back on the team."

"Wha—"

"Not that I'd ever want to play again anyway," Maria finished, looking down at her leg.

"So you're just gonna let him win," Stevie said, perplexed. "You're just gonna let him take your favorite thing away from you?"

"Stev—"

"No, Maria," Stevie said, standing up. "That's not right! This isn't like you!"

"You don't know anything about me," said Maria, crossing her arm. Stevie didn't miss the grimace that flashed across her face.

"I know the things that matter," said Stevie. "And I know that you shouldn't let some guy ruin the thing you're best at. I mean, Quidditch has been your thing ever since I met you!"

"I have a life outside of Quidditch, y'know," said Maria. "I have a mum and a dad and a little sister. I have friends and concerts to go to and books to read and homework to do. I have birthdays to celebrate and parties to attend. Not everything in my life revolves around some game."

"Some game," said Stevie, her voice low. "What happened to you?"

"I think you're projecting," Maria said, finally looking her straight in the eyes.

As Stevie felt hot tears forming at the back of her eyes, she felt Madam Pomfrey grasp her arm softly. "I think it's time for Ms. Kim to rest."

_________

STEVIE PLOPPED straight onto the light layer of snow covering the Quidditch Pitch, her hair sticking to her face from sweat. James was next to her, his glasses fogged up, a tired smile on his face. They'd had a really good practice; Stevie was showing some real improvement—she didn't even drop the Quaffle once this time!

"So," Stevie said in between deep, rapid breaths, "how did Potions go?"

"Oh god, please don't remind me of it," James said, his arm flying over his face to shield his rosy cheeks.

"Otto told me about it," Stevie said, holding back a laugh.

"I spilt both of our cauldrons twice," he said, peeping at her from under his arm.

"Oh er—some people think clumsy is cute!"

"I also got us both detention since Slughorn thought it was both of us who made the mess," he continued.

"More opportunity to talk to her!"

"Don't lie, Stevie. I'm a lost cause," James sighed dramatically.

"Oh, shut up," Stevie said, sitting up. James remained on his back, sulking. "Look, you've still got your er—your awkward charm, and your good looks, a—and your Quidditch skills! If Sunny doesn't want that, then it's her loss!"

"Wait, let's back track a moment. You think I'm good looking?"

"Bloody hell, James! That's not the point of this conversation," Stevie said, laughing. "Listen, you've got a match tomorrow. Go rest up and stop thinking about Sunny for a few hours. If that's possible."

"Fine," James groaned, pushing himself to his feet. "I better see you at the match tomorrow. In the Gryffindor section. I don't care if Sinclair calls you a traitor or anything."

Stevie rolled her eyes and smiled. "I'll be there."

_______

AND STEVIE WAS there, just as she promised, bundled up in several layers with a red and gold scarf she bribed a first year to give her—like father, like daughter. She watched as James scored a ridiculous amount of points for Gryffindor; Ravenclaw had no chance from the get go. And when the Ravenclaw seeker caught the Snitch, Gryffindor was still up by at least 100 points.

"Holy shit, James! That was incredible," Stevie said as soon as she found the boy on the Pitch. She almost tackled him to the ground with the force of her hug. Bloody hell, he smelt amazing.

"Yeah, I know—I'm pretty amazing," James said. Stevie didn't have to look at the boy to tell that he was smirking. She punched him in the chest lightly before stepping away from him. "You coming to the party tonight?"

"Party?"

"To celebrate," James explained, still out of breath but smiling. "It's at Gryffindor Tower—I can walk you if you want."

"No, it's fine," Stevie said. "I'll swing by, grace everyone with my presence for a little bit."

"I'm sure everyone will be very grateful," James said.

"Of course they will," Stevie said, patting James on the shoulder. "now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go find Sunny and attack her with hugs."

"A woman after my own heart."

________

NOTE.

THANKS FOR 700 READS WTH