Court and Cattle

We basically got served. We were being brought to court for owning property, it was laughable. I just couldn't miss whatever debate Jamie had prepared to get into, which I wouldn't have missed much seeing as he ran his speech by me about a hundred times. Still, I wanted to support my brother so I put on some nice clothes and we headed out.

I had been texting Alex and Dylan, bored out of my mind, practically the whole time. I finally heard Jamie's voice so I figured I'd better listen in.

"The state of Montana has never gauged its progress by the size of its cities. We measure our progress by how those cities affect the people and the land surrounding them, the land that feeds them, provides their water, nourishes their souls."

"This doesn't sound like a legal argument, Mr. Dutton. It sounds like a lecture." The man, Alan, who was attempting to take our land and use it for housing developments spoke.

"Well, it's a summation of our state constitution, which clearly states that land preservation and property rights take precedence over public expansion."

"The constitution clearly denotes the state's right to eminent domain and grants the authority to condemn property for the public good."

"For essential public services like hospitals, schools, highways. Not housing developments."

"Housing is essential. Bozeman has doubled in size in a decade. We're 30 miles away, and our population is less than it was 40 years ago. Why? Because their fence guarantees we don't grow. Stagnation is death for a town, and the Duttons are the ones killing it." Even I have to admit, that's a good argument. While I still didn't agree, he had a point.

Finally, the Governor weighs in. "Well, poetic if it were true, since a Dutton founded the town. As it stands, the defendant is correct. Our land laws are quite clear. For this commission to grant eminent domain, you must show public need, not desire."

"I think that's enough posturing, Let's put it to a vote." Another old rich white man, and even better a, politician, spoke.

"The plaintiff hasn't shown any legal imperative for a vote. No, this case is dismissed." she slammed her gavel and that was it.

Everyone got up and started leaving, I walked to Jamie at his podium where the other man was already speaking with him,

"It's 30,000 acres, Jamie. That isn't a fraction of the ranch. Okay, look, you can harvest the timber first, no environmental review, nothing. You can cut every tree to the root."

"You want to suggest to my father that he clear-cut his land, be my guest. You're a braver man than me."

"Just mention it Jamie. The town grows or it dies."

"Maybe it should grow... up. Condos, Alan, like they have in San Francisco." he motioned towards the door and we walked away.

"I've really got to study up on lawyer vocabulary before I come back to one of these."

"I told you it wouldn't exactly be fun."

"Eh, listening to you make everyone else in the room seem stupid is always fun."

"I don't- I guess I do do that, don't I?" he laughed lightly.

"Yes, you do. You do it very well, you are one of the only two people in this family I wouldn't argue with because I know I'd lose."

"Who's the other? Beth?"

"Exactly, I'm not about to get stabbed over an argument."

"She is more cut throat than the rest of us, isn't she? Always has been, well since mom."