Calm Before The Storm

Back at the barn, we fixed our plates and conversed as usual when Rip looked at his phone and sighed. 

"What's up?"

R: "Your sister needs a ride home. She's too drunk to drive." 

Now I groaned, "Let her walk."

R: "Kymberly."

I wanted to scream out 'she's using you!' but it would be pointless, "Drive safe." 

He nodded and started towards his truck, Ryan running after him. I was confused but too hungry to question it.

Colby sat beside me, "So Fred's really gone?" 

"Yeah, Lloyd's taking him after he gets done eating."

C: "Good. The guy was a dick."

"No kidding."

I looked up to see Ryan walking towards us, a large smile on his face, "Come on." 

Colby got up to return to his previous seat.

"Where?"

Ry: "Just come on." he held out his hand, which I took with a smile. He led me to Rip's truck and we both got in the back. 

"Why are we going with him?"

He shrugged, "Why not." 

"I dunno, I'm hungry and tried and have a hole to patch between my dad and brother?"

He rubbed the back of his neck, "Uh..."

I laughed a little, kissing his cheek, "I could use a night off."

---

We walked into the bar, Rip walking off to find Beth. He dragged me onto the dance floor, a cover of Dive playing. His arms wrapped around my waist and mine around his neck. I smiled as the neon lights twinkled in his eyes.

A sheepish smile crept onto his face, "So, there is a reason I wanted to come out tonight."

"Yeah?"

"Yeah. I wanted to wait before doin' this but... hell, darlin' I've waited ten years and I don't want to waste another second." 

He paused, the lyrics filling my brain along with the smell of his cologne;

I could fall, or I could fly here in your aeroplane
And I could live, I could die
Hangin' on the words you say
And I've been known to give my all
And jumpin' in harder than
Ten thousand rocks on the lake

His gripped tightened and he cleared his throat, "I am so fucking in love with you, and I don't want to spend another day not being yours."

My jaw fell open slightly before turning into a large smile.

He matched my smile, "What do you say, darlin'?" 

"I say... you took the words right out of my mouth." I reached up and kissed him, him taking my hand and spinning me around. 

As our song faded out, Stone started to play and I spotted my sister walking onto the dance floor hand-in-hand with Rip. She seemed so genuinely happy, they both did.

"Hey, let's give 'em some space." I pulled Ryan off the floor and to the bar to wait for them to have their moment. 

---

Travis came to the ranch with a handful of horses, "Which one do you want to see first, John?"

D: "Surprise me."

I scanned each horse carefully as they danced around the paddock. 

T: "Hey, Andrea! Bring him!"

Andrea rode towards us on a handsome stud.

T: "This is Little Joe Cash. Nine-year-old stallion. He's a NHRA Futurity winner, AQHA world champion. He's a CRHA Challenge Futurity winner. The only thing he ain't won is the Kentucky Derby, and that's 'cause he ain't no fucking racehorse."

I watched in awe as he spun a tight circle so fast he started to drill a hole in the ground, "He is something." 

D: "How much?"

T: "Mm... I could get 'em bought for about five."

Jamie now spoke, "500 seems cheap for a Futurity winner."

Travis chuckled, "Five million."

D: "Ah, hell, Travis."

T: "You said bring the best, he's the best."

"He really is, dad. Plus, he's got a $4,000 stud fee."

T: "He's booked for the full season and booking up for next year. He pays for himself in three years, alright? And then he keeps paying you."

"We should swing it if we can." with no answer, I sighed, "What else you got?"

T: "Okay, okay. Hey, Tom! Bring him down!"

Another raced towards us,

Rip: "That's pretty fancy."

I nodded as the horse skid to a stop, he was promising, to a point.

T: "He's got about 100,000 in earnings. But you gotta put this one on the road. You gotta go in. There's no guarantee with his babies, alright? He makes nice foals, but..." he shrugged. 

D: "What's that one Tim's on?"

T: "That's Custom-Made Gun. That's that horse that Kate McCutcheon's winning everything on. Hey, Tim!"

Custom-Made rushed towards us, snorting like a dragon as he skid which caused Travis to chuckle, "He's angry and mean. You gotta have your big boy pants on when you ride that one. You could probably get him bought for about a million."

I inspected every inch of the palomino, "His earnings?"

T: "200,000. But, if you're looking to raise Cadillac Ranch horses, that is your stud."

J: "Why don't we just breed the one Kayce gave you?"

D: "No one can ride the damn thing, Jamie." he turned to Rip, "Which one do you like?"

R: "I like that $5 million bastard that just spun a hole in the ground, but it ain't my money."

"Yeah, but it's mine, and I agree."

J: "We can't do it. I mean," he sighed, "we could but, we don't need to."

D: "Don't ever tell me what I can and can't do." something caught his eye as he looked over his shoulder, doing the same, I saw Tate and Monica standing hand-in-hand looking like someone just ran over their dog. "You handle it, Kymberly."

"Yes, sir." I looked at Jamie, "Why shouldn't we do it?"

J: "Why should we? Do you know what we could do with $5 million that would profit us more and quicker?"

I raised a brow, "Do you?"

He sighed, "Kymberly, we should hold onto the money."

"We have it running out of our ears, Jame, we'll be fine." I hardly had to glance at Travis before he nodded, our decision being made. I pushed off the fence, "Alright, I've got work to do, call me as soon as you know what's up with them."

Rip and Jamie nodded.

"Oh, and Travis, we'll take Tom's, too."

J: "Kymberly!"

I kept walking away, "You'll thank me later!"