Chapter 5

The next few days were bliss, my aunt didn't bother me at all Maybe I should make special dishes more often.

Even her children didn't bother me. Speaking of children, Anna hasn't spoken to me ever since that day and honestly, I miss her. Sigh...

I get out of bed and head downstairs. I hear some voices from the living room, I back up against the wall and take a peak.

My aunt is sitting across a man who has his back to me. He was dressed in an all black formal tuxedo with a white dress shirt underneath.

"Please, just give me some more time, I promise, I'll pay you back" My aunt pleaded

"You've been saying that for the past four years now" He replied coldly

His voice was like honey. It reminded me of some of those actors I always see Linda swoon over. But at the same time, it sent dreadful chills down my spine

"I know that, but please, I need more time, I'll do anything, anything just please Mr Black"

Black, what an odd name.

I've never seen my aunt so desperate and I don't think I've ever seen her beg anyone before so this had to be a very serious case.

My aunt look up and her eyes meet mine. I gasp and hide behind the wall but it was too late, I know she saw me and I know she's already planning out my punishment in her head.

I gather courage and walk past them to the kitchen and I feel the man burning a hole into my head with his eyes while I walked.

I hasten my steps and get to the kitchen as fast as I could, not being able to handle the stares he was giving me.

I start doing the dishes while still trying to listen in and make out what they are saying But I can only hear the sweet vibration of the man's voice.

After a while, I hear the front door shut meaning the man finally left and also meaning that my aunt is coming to get me any moment from now.

I look up from the dishes to see her standing by the door, glaring at me. I thought maybe she didn't want to see me so I quickly finished the dishes, wiped my hands and made my way out of the kitchen.

Just as I was walking past her, she yanked me by my hair and twisted my body in such a way that her face was directly over mine.

"How dare you spy on me? Is this what you've been doing?" My aunt asked through clenched teeth

"I-I didn't m-mean too, I'm sorry"

"I think you've been having way too much free time. Well, that's about to change. I want this house cleaned and dinner prepared on time. And starting tomorrow, you'll have to start earning your stay here"

I was shocked because I thought cleaning and cooking for them was enough but it seems I was wrong. Well on the bright side, I wouldn't be at home as much anymore, and my aunt's abuses will lessen. I'll finally be able to see what the world is actually like.

"Charmaine, Charmaine, I'm talking to you!" My aunt said while shaking me violently

My back was starting to hurt cuz I've been in that position for way too long but I didn't mind, I'm too busy daydreaming about the world outside of these walls.

"What's wrong with you, you stupid dog? then she let me go abruptly and I fell to the ground.

I stand up, brushing myself with my hands and started making my way upstairs when she said-

"Oh, one last thing, If anyone ever hears anything about my meeting with that man, I'll make sure your life is a living hell"

Not really much of a threat since my life's already hell, but I wasn't planning on telling anyone either so I just nodded and went back to my room.