Spider Trouble

ff is inspired by 'Can It Ever Be the Same?' by @simpin_aint_pimpin and 'A Psychic Who Just Wants To Go Home' by @1person_10

Reader is an asshole at first.

edit; HELLO. You may have (or have not) noticed that I unpublished this fic a couple months ago. Well it's back now :p

•••

You stay perched at the fence near the edge of the hovercraft. The wind whisked past you, adding more chill to the already cold atmosphere with being so high up in the air.

You look down. The city sat hundreds of feet below you; in ruins after the Spider Queen's recent attack. It gave off a dead feel now as faint green light emits from it.

Behind you, your saviors talked away, making negotiations with the infamous Red Son. You don't bother joining the conversation. Words of some random civilian they hitched off the block wouldn't seem very trusting anyway.

Honestly though, You'd have still been down there if it weren't for them. You were at the roof of your apartment flat when it happened.

You finished your work early since there wasn't much to report about. And the boss already had things planned - with the people outside. All Partying and celebrating at embellished streets. It's New Year's Eve after all.

Now, you're not a big fan of festivals. Having celebrated the same events year after year got the repetitiveness of things to drain the former excitement you had from you.

But, you've always liked the firework show. If it weren't for that you'd have stayed cooped up in my apartment. Drowning out the loud, bustling cheers and cries.

You chose a spot in the middle of the roof floor. From the horizon of endless ground, you catch a glimpse of the sea of people wandering the roads. Most of which all went with either friends or family. Even alone, they look content anyway.

You sat underneath fabric that's laid out on the floor. Head craned up facing the night. It's an empty sky. Lacking the star. With nothing else. It's just a blanket of black right now.

The countdown starts. The people from below start to chant. "Ten. Nine. Eight."

For once you join along. Counting down under your breath as you stare up in anticipation. "7. 6. 5." you could see the faces of others twist into excitement as the numbers near its end.

"Four. Three. Two." You drew in a breath for the last, "One."

In a matter of milliseconds, the people cheered louder than they ever did before. Cries and cheers. Pots and pans. The noise is everywhere. Decibels rose to the point it's deafening.

You didn't care. Their ruckus falls deaf on your ears as you watch with bated breath as light shoots up to the sky. Time slowed as your heart raced. The light explodes and scatters. Bringing about a sight that you'd grown so fond of.

Beautiful. The bright sparks that brought life to the night. It danced around. Full of life. As it greedily conquers the endless sky for its play of light.

It's nothing like the real stars that gave a soft, gentle glow. But it was enough to grasp your attention. Not planning to let loose any time soon.