And Then There Were Two

TW: Cringe

Speak of the devil. You blanch at the new arrival, shoulders tensed and outstretched arm faltering. "Hello..." You drag out, the surprise making you sound strained.

MK flashed a smile, either not noticing or ignoring the tone of your voice. "Great to see you! Am I uh, interrupting something?" His pupils subtly trailed from you to the inside of your home — where Chief can be seen on your couch.

"Nope!" Chief cuts in before you could speak, comically kicking himself off the couch into a standing position. He's fast to find his way by your side, leaning onto you with an arm around your shoulders. You squirm in discomfort. "My pal and I were talking about tax evasion. Nothing too important." He casually waves his free hand about as he shares his cover story that he probably made up on the spot.

"Say!" He continues, "You seem close. You two friends?"

"Shut up." You mutter as discreetly as possible without moving your mouth.

"Well, I'm not sure about what they think, but-"

"Cool cool! Anyways, we were just about to wrap things up and I was on my way out. You two fella go ahead and hang out. That's what friends do right?" You so badly want to face palm, glaring at Chief as he went on with his rambling. MK's still here, looking equally as uncomfortable as he shuffles his feet awkwardly.

"Have a good day!" Finally, his hold on you is gone as he slips past MK and disappears into the hall. You let out an exasperated breath, pinching the bridge of your nose as you mentally insult him.

"That was interesting." MK breaks the silence, stiff as a board with his mouth pressed into a line. He breaks out of his tense stance to lean over to your side, "You know that's not the mayor right?" He whispers into your ear, cupping the side of his face as he does so.

"I didn't vote for him." You clarify in a deadpan voice and he returns to his side. You didn't vote for anyone.

"Well, he stole your food..."

"What?" Until he pointed it out, you hadn't noticed that the plastic bag of warm food he was carrying earlier was gone. You won't forget this. Sure, he paid and ordered for the food, but he still should have shared at least. For sure you would've. MK had a sheepish face, fidgeting with his hands as he kept his gaze trained on the floor.

"You know... I just finished with my deliveries so how about I take you to Pigsy's? My treat." MK offers. You break out of raging stupor and look at him with knitted eyebrows. Why is he the one offering compensation? It's not like he's the one that stole your lunch.

You sigh "I appreciate it, but I'll pay since you're already driving me there." He beams at your response.

He takes a moment to turn away, whispering "Yes!" while clenching a fist. He brings his attention back to you, smiling as he cheers; "Let's go!" before sprinting down the hall.

MK shouts; "Guys! Look who I've got!" inside as he bursts through the wooden blinds.

You follow him shortly after, finding him frozen in place and the restaurant empty. You surveyed the place, picking up the subtle snores in the air.

"Are they supposed to be sleeping on a lunch rush?" You questioned, peeking at the counter where Pigsy laid on the floor, fast asleep as like everyone else — Tang leaning against the wall, and Mei in a fetal position on the floor.

MK took the liberty to aggressively shake them by the shoulders, calling their names. They don't budge, only stirring lightly before their heads fall limp. His face scrunched. "Cool cool cool." he chuckles nervously, "Everyone is asleep, Monkey King is gone. It's just me and my thoughts."