☆11☆

"What was the deal with the lady back there?" Ed Earl questioned David as he hopped onto his horse.
"She thought she knew me
Good thing Melvin came back, I was getting really uncomfortable."

Melvin and David then got up on their horses. As soon as David sat down, the horse threw him off her back which made him land on the dirt, face first.
Ed Earl held his breath before he busted out laughing as Melvin rushed over to where David lied.
"Ed, this is not funny!" Melvin spoke firmly.
"I'm sorry, are you okay David?" Ed Earl asked, still laughing.
"Melvin, Ed Earl doesn't mean any harm." David got up and dusted himself off. "I'm alright."

After David got back up on his horse, everyone of them began riding down the trail.

"Yeehaw." David said as their horses began walking.

********

There were many trees on the trail they went on. These trees blocked most of the sunlight, some of it's beams creeped through the cracks that the leaves left.
Birds chirped as the wind softly blew against everyone's backs.

Mostly, Ed Earl and Melvin did most of the talking. David was fine with that, considering that Melvin was trying to get on Ed Earl's good side.
Since they were talking, David went into deep thought as he stared straight ahead of him.
First, it was about songs. What if he wrote one about the small town he was in? His own personal experience? Maybe a song about The Chicken Ranch, Ed Earl, or even how he ended up here.

Then he remembered

Mick

Mick came crashing into his thoughts like.
He thought of the day Mick had came to him. Their anniversary, that day, David went out to the store and bought some flowers for Mick to eat, along with a pair of shoes Mick had been wanting so they could go dancing in the streets.

When he came back to his house, he quietly opened the door. And did the same when he shut it.
David had walked into their room, flowers and shoes in his arms.
"Mick!" He exclaimed happily.

Soon though, his smile dropped. His heart sank.

Mick was throwing his clothes into some crusty old suitcases he found.
"Mick...wha- what are you doing?" David asked nervously.
Mick turned around and looked at him.
"I'm leaving you David. I'm not even going to lie to you about it, I'm leaving you and I'm never coming back. Ever!"

"Where are you going?" David asked quietly, he could feel his heart begin the break.
"I'm going to live with my 78-years-old Sugar Daddy with heart faliure!" He exclaimed.
All David could do was just stand in the doorway. He felt like an idiot, but he couldn't bring himself to move out of the way. Slowly, his head began to drop towards the ground. Soon, he was looking at his red shoes that Mick had bought him after they watched "The Wizard Of Oz" together.

Mick took the flowers and shoes without hesitation.
"I'm gonna be divorcing you too. But, uh, thanks for the flowers and whatever is in this box. I wss getting pretty hungry."

And so, here David was in Texas.

A single tear rolled down David's face as he bit his quivering lip.

"David?"

David turned his head towards Melvin, who looked worried.
"You doing alright?"
"Uh, yeah." David sniffed as he wiped his face. "I am."

Out of nowhere, they heard a strange noise. Like a hissing noise. It was very loud and it startled all three of them and their horses.
They came to a stop.
"What the hell was that?" Ed Earl asked as he looked around.
David glanced down at the ground and noticed a snake. A boa constrictor.
"Looks like a.. boa constrictor?" David told Ed Earl.
The snake then bit David's horse which became scared and started running off with him on the back of it.
The snake bit down harder, hanging onto the horse.

"Ed Earl, do something!" Melvin yelled at him. So, Ed Earl took his revolver out and aimed at the snake's head and began to shoot. The sound of the shots scared the horse and threw David off before running away.
David flew in the air, but luckily, Melvin was able to catch him.

Ed Earl put his gun away as he exclaimed, "Are you alright?!"
David caught his breath. "I think so."
"Well since you don't have a horse, you'll have to ride on one of ours." Melvin spoke.

The rest of the ride went fine after that. Melvin talked about his life in New Jersey, how he always wanted to move to Texas, along with always wanting to do the right thing.
"That's why I got into News, and have my own little report. Friend Ed, I never asked you, where are you from?"
"I was born and raised in Gilbert." He told Melvin. "Also, I was wondering if you really wanted to do that interview with me?"
"Ah, I just said that hoping to get you off my back." Melvin admitted, looking away.
"Oh." Ed Earl replied flatly.