chapter 3

"Hear me out, " she said, "and please don't interrupt until I am done."

I nodded, heart beating erratically, and she continued to speak.

"We are descended from an ancient community called the Egluise people.  These people have magical gifts, but not like magical spells and potions.  We can do small feats of magic, like cleaning spells and making flowers grow.  Some more powerful people can control an element, or heal those who are sick."

"How-", I started, but she raised her hand to stop me from speaking.

"My family has a history of more subtle and artistic gifts.  Your Aunt Teresa is a very gifted painter, and my mother was a dancer. So am I."

"So your telling me that...you have a gift? For dancing?" I almost feel like she is playing some kind of joke on me.  I look around for the cameras.  I hope they didn't catch my slip up on the cloche.  My mother interrupts my thoughts.

"Yes, I am.  I think you might as well.  Of course, there is some element of choice in your gift.  That is why you have to go away to school.  Now."

"What about my school, and my friends? I think this joke is just about over, mom." I get up to leave, and the door slams in my face.

"Honey," says mom, "come sit down for a moment."\

I walk over to her, with my legs shaking.  Was that magic? Am I magic?

"Everything I just said is true.  You need to go the the school I went to, Buxva School for Emerging Gifts.  It's a great school, and you will learn what you can do, and what you are destined to do for the world.  You can take dance classes, and keep up on your maths and sciences as well."

"Is this for real?" I ask in an embarassingly shakey voice.

"Yes.  From this point on, your life will change. Forever.  Let's go pack.'

"I have to leave so soon?  Can't I finish the semester? Where is this school?"

"You leave tomorrow.  I will answer all of your questions later. Let's go."

My mom returns to her usual brisk manner, and walks out of the room, again opening the door without her hands. Scared, but determined not to show her that any more than I already have, I follow her.