Chapter 1: Childhood

Temi's POV

Tricia is my sister, my only sister, and the last of 2 children or so they thought. She is only 1 year younger than Bro Tayo, my brother, but they grew up like twins. Their age gap even became less noticeable when Tricia received a "double promotion" to primary five after spending one and a half term in primary four in a new school. Her display of brilliance was rare to find, but even rarer was her determination to become successful at the age of eight.

I have always known Bro Tayo to be a carefree child. He never worried much about anything including the common entrance examination into Federal Government Secondary Schools. Whilst Tricia and some of our neighbours (who were all Tricia's classmates) prepared and studied hard every evening after returning from school, Bro Tayo would rather spend time with me, his youngest sibling.

Yes, Me! Mom had me when she least expected. Tricia was five at that time. She had enjoyed all the luxury of being the last child and when it was my turn, I popped out like a ninja!

Well, back to Bro Tayo and Tricia, it was common finding groups discussing what they want to be when they grow up.

"I'm going to be successful!" Tricia would say.

"I'm going to be an Accountant." replied Naomi, our neighbour.

"I'm going to be an Actress." Said Evelyn.

"Me too!" Joslyn, the copy cat would shout. But Bro Tayo would just smile and not say anything.

As much as Bro Tayo was carefree, he was still doing well in school but I wondered if he still doesn't know what he wants to be in future or he just doesn't want to say. Tricia too. She always hid behind "I want to be successful." she never really said anything else until one fateful day, after she had successfully started her 1st year in Junior School, She called me into her room.

"I know what I want to be now," she says.

"To be successful?" I asked innocently. That was all I've heard her say anyway.

She laughed.

"No, I want to become a very successful Accountant." She replied. Oh well, that's good right? I thought. It was sudden but good. Even though a part of me didn't believe her.

*****

Tricia's POV

Growing up wasn't so easy. With school, friends and babysitting my kid bro. I was just some girl trying to find herself. Her 'inner' self. You know how adults would say "You're unique in your own way," And "I believe in you," those were the words I told myself as a kid. I knew I was too young and I didn't even believe those words but something in me was hidden and I needed to find it.

As a kid, I didn't know what I wanted for myself. I just knew I wanted to be successful. How?? I didn't know but I wanted that for myself.

I was around 9 in primary school. I had an English Language "home fun" like every other primary school child. The home fun was about writing a story, any kind. When I got home, I took out my book and wrote what came to my head.
When I got to school the next day, I submitted it to my class teacher and continued with my day. During break time, she called me and told me how I did great in the home fun. She asked me if anyone helped me or if it was some storybook I read earlier but I said no.

She was really impressed or not convinced that she asked me to write another one and submit it. To me, it was some sort of punishment because this was break time. My break time in school. Anyway, I wrote another one and submitted it. By the time I finished and submitted, break time was already over. I went back to my seat and cried. This is pure wickedness! I thought.