Newish School

Pulling up to Hawkins high school was an odd and almost scary feeling, what if somebody recognized me and turned me over to the lab?

What if papa was still working with my brothers and sisters back there, or did Peter really hold up his end of the bargain and help everyone escape papa and his test.

Peter had got me the connection to my new parents and my big brother, Alice and Frank were ex workers at the lab and close friends to Peter.

So when he asked them for help, they happily dropped everything and ran away with their son and I to Oklahoma.

It wasn't far but it was better than trying to lie low in Hawkins where they would have found us a lot sooner then they had.

Which was only a year ago, might I add. It's hard to believe I've been out for four years, and have only been caught once with all the slip ups I've had.

I've had some problems keeping the mind control under wraps but the telekinesis had been no problem.

But in the four years I had a normal life in Oklahoma Atticus and I went to Deer Creek middle where I learned to be some what normal and attended speech therapy to help me speak. But it still didn't help much because I didn't see the point in making friends.

At this point my leg was shaking the whole car and my brother had taken notice.

"Hey, Rina we don't have to go today if your uncomfortable. We can do it tomorrow or next week" Atticus said as he placed his hand on my knee, Atticus wasn't scared like I was because he had lived here before him and his parents moved for me.

Frank and Alice were my parents, but I never got to verbally call them that before they were taken from us.

Papa was a bad man sometimes and I truly questioned if he did have our best interests at heart.

"No if you hide, th- they find us" I stumbled over my words, it's not that I didn't know English it when it came out it came out weirdly.

So I chose not to talk now as to keep from being picked on, which gets me labeled as a mute.

I looked at car clock and noticed we were two hours late for school and we would be in trouble if we didn't head in there now.

I grabbed my bag as I climbed out of Atticus's white convertible that Frank and Alice had left him.

Atticus threw his arm around me as we started towards the school building, this was going to be hell if I was found out.

~~~

Atticus still had his arm around me as we walked behind the principal who was leading us to our first period, which we thankfully shared like most of our classes.

The principal stopped infront of a door before he opened it and stopped the class that was in process, English great.

"Mr. Boushebel, here are your two new students" the principal said with a smile on his face as he gave us an encouraging tap on the shoulder as he walked behind us and we heard the door close soon after.

"Well since you two are late you have to tell us a little about yourselfs" the teacher said with a smug smile as he closed the book in his hands and leaned against his desk a little.

Atticus clicked his tongue before he responded back to the teacher.

"And what would you like to know sir" he said politely but I could tell he was over doing it by a lot.

I rolled my eyes and shrunk a little further into his side as I felt people staring more intensely then before, "Well this is English class so let's start with that and where you two came from" Mr. Boushebel said with a smile towards Atticus.

"I'm originally from here with my parents and I like Romeo and Juliet" Atticus said proudly before remembering that he forgot about me.

"And this is my little sister-"

"she can talk for herself cant she" Mr. Boushebel cut Atticus off before he could finish taking for me, his eyes shot down to me in worry but it quickly changed when he looked back at the expectant teacher as he waited for an answer.

Before Atticus could pounce on Mr. Boushebel I opened my mouth quickly with the first words that came to though. 

"Oklahoma, a-and Edgar Allan Poe" I said softly as my hair came tumbling down into my face as I looked to the floor with rosy cheeks.

I didn't want to face the class as I was called a mute again or a weirdo, but nothing came other than the teachers applaud.

"Wow I didn't think you had it in you, ok um. Atticus go sit by Jason Carver and Marina sit by Michael Harrington" Mr. Boushebel said as he pointed out two boys, one sat by the window with brown hair and the other had a letterman jacket with the school colors on it.

Atticus kissed the top of my head before walking over to the letterman jacket boy who nodded to him in greeting, I started my way over to the boy by the window who's eyes still hadn't left mine.

I reached the seat within a matter of seconds and pulled out the chair next to the brown haired boy, he had dark brown eyes but almost black yet they still held something sweet.

My blueish green eyes met his and I was quick to look back to the desk but that was when I felt him lean in a little closer to me.

"Hi I'm Michael Harrington, I'm a freshman and I'm fifteen. And you are" he said as his voice sounded kinda rough like when you first wake up in the morning but it still sounded like a normal teenage boys voice, but that didn't stop my heart from fluttering at him talking to me.

Not knowing how to respond I squeaked and shuffled away a little, what if he made fun of how I talk too??

I mean I'm not as bad as I use to be but I still struggle from time to time, plus not to mention Atticus always spoke for me so I was always covered.

But now- I looked next to me to see that he had moved a little closer but didn't do anything else like other boys did, he just smiled softly as he waited for an answer with his head propped up on his hand acting like he was still paying attention.

"Uh- I'm Marina Johnson" I took a deep breath in and slowly started the next part of the conversation, "I'm freshmen too and fourteen" I said with more struggle than I thought I would've and looked down embarrassed as the red tint to my face only darkened.

Gosh why am I so stupid! I felt a hand slip over top of mine and I looked back up to see Michael was still looking at me with a warm smile.

I smiled a little back and looked back towards the teacher who had just picked up his information manual and started to read from it again.

"So are you going trick or treating on Halloween? And if you are I'm going with some middle school friends and they were bringing an outsider so I wanted to bring a plus one, if that's ok with you that is" Michael asked with a small grin as his face turned a light shade of pink.

I nodded my head, now I have to pick a costume.