ONE.

cigarette daydream ——— one.

❁ ❁ ❁

summer was the one time of year the conklin's actually looked forward to; the beach, the house, the parties, the fisher's. the fisher's. lucia sat in the passenger seat of her car as her brother drove down the highway at an annoying speed. getaway car blasted through the speakers as she belted the bridge, her sister eventually joining in from the back. their mother, laurel, let out a soft laugh considering she had just woken up from a nap.

"can you turn that shit down? i cannot concentrate with the two of you squeaking." steven bickered from the driver's seat.

annoyed, lucia turned the radio up and shot her sister a quick smirk through the rearview mirror. "hey. the deal was if you drove, belly and i got to listen to our music."

"and i think we sound pretty good." isabel screamed over the music. steven just ignored his two sisters as he signaled and merged into the exit leading to cousins.

cousins beach was nostalgic. the windows of the car were rolled down and the smell of home flushed through the vehicle. lucia leaned against the car door and stuck her arm out the window, letting the wind push it back. the next few minutes we're quiet. nothing about cousins changed, the scenery was bright, lots of whites and greens. steven pulled into the fishers' neighborhood and sighed with satisfaction.

"it's good to be back." laurel blurted with a smile and the three simultaneously nodded in agreement. they tended to do that a lot.

lucia eagerly tapped the dashboard, almost leaning out of her seat. "i'm so excited to see susannah!"

"we all know belly's ready to see conrad" steven chuckled and tapped on the steering wheel. it felt like he was driving slow as molasses.

isabel stuck her tongue out, "you're a dick steven." belly had been notorious for having a crush on conrad since she was 10. she tried convincing her brother and sister she was over it but neither of the two really seemed to believe her.

"knock it off you two." laurel shook her head as steven pulled into the fisher's driveway.

jeremiah fisher sat on the porch of their family's home. the conklin's had visited every summer, even before the kids were born. no other months mattered except june, july, and august for the two family's. his foot tapped against the wood impatiently until lucia's car pulled into the driveway.

it seemed as before the car was even parked, laurel and jeremiah were running to eachother.

"heeeey!" jeremiah yelled as he jogged over to laurel with his arms wide open.