TWO.

cigarette daydream ——— two.

❁ ❁ ❁

summer didn't start until the first night the two families were together. the conklin's usually arrived late afternoon. they would all catch up for an hour or so and then the kids would go jump in the pool or go down to the ocean while susannah made a big dinner. laurel wasn't a very good cook, but she stayed in the kitchen to give susannah company.

"belly flop!!!!!!" jeremiah yelled. conrad and lucy were holding on to belly's arms while jeremiah and steven held her legs.

belly shrieked in fear as they swung her over the pool, releasing her, her third time over. she hit the water with a loud smack and didn't come up for a few seconds. "i hate you guys." she laughed, wiping the water out of her eyes.

"i'm sorry," lucia mouthed trying not to laugh. belly's hair was awkwardly flipped against her face.

"never gets old," steven stated as conrad gave belly a hand to get out of the pool. instead of using his grip to pull herself out, she pulled him right in with her. jeremiah snuck up behind lucia and quickly pushed her in. him and steven looked at each other with a little shrug and jumped in together.

susannah and laurel had watched it all unfold from the kitchen. "there's nothing i love more than seeing them all be together. happy. and being with you." susannah smiled over at laurel who was straining pasta.

"it's really nice to be back here. it's always refreshing."

"i just don't want this summer to be different." susannah confessed, tilting her head at laurel. "every other summer has just been so perfect."

"and they will continue to be." laurel reassured her friend and began setting the table.

susannah always went all out on dinner the first night. there was always a spread of dips, seafoods, pastas, breads and desserts. for the rest of the summer, she would only cook three days out of the seven and either laurel would throw together buttered noodles or the kids would figure something out.

the two family's sat down at the dinner table, their hair still wet from being in the pool. susannah pulled out a bottle of wine and explained where she'd got it and how she was saving it for the first night of summer.

conrad interfered. "it's not the first night of summer mom." by the time they sat down for dinner it seemed as though most of his energy had drained out. he sat there emotionless, almost moody.

"oh honey, yes it is. it's not summer until our friends arrive." she explained, uncorking the bottle with a pop and filling each of the glasses with a bit of the wine.