4. Space Oddity

ROBIN'S POV

I entered the Wheelers' house quietly, scanning the room for Nancy. I poked my head around the corner of the wall to find her sitting on the couch, head in her hands. Aw, she looks sad... I carefully tiptoed around the corner and behind the couch, avoiding her gaze. I slowly moved my arms above her head, then placed my hands over her eyes, watching her tense up. "Guess who?" Once Nancy heard my voice she relaxed before moving my hands away and turning around. "Jesus Christ, Robin!" "Sorry I was late, I'm a weird runner and I am NOT in shape to be running three miles," I laughed. She rolled her eyes before leaning over the couch and hugging me. "Oh, I did what you suggested," she said, pulling a note from her pocket. She unfolded it gently before handing it to me.

Johnathan-

Since you've moved away, it's been hard maintaining our relationship. It's hard to even be IN ONE when you're thousands of miles away. And since you've left, I've done some thinking. I'm just gonna flat out say it; I think it would be better if we saw other people. It's not you, you're an amazing guy. It's just really hard.

"That's good Nance, really," I said. I can't imagine being thousands of miles away... She smiled slightly before folding the note back up and placing it in her pocket. "Well, come on!" she said. "Let's go talk to people." I took her hand, then she led me into the mass of friends and family. We mingled for a few minutes before we heard a loud whistle from Mr. Wheeler. "Dinner time, folks!" The Wheelers, Byers', and the kids all gathered in the kitchen with various plates that were scattered about. Mr Wheeler distributed the food, then we all went out separate ways. The adults and Holly at one table, the kids at another, then Nancy, Steve, Johnathan and I in the living room.

We made small talk for most of dinner, cracking jokes and poking fun at each other. It was nice, to be honest. Steve and Johnathan got along better than ever, so Nance and I kind of just sat there, stealing occasional glances at each other. "I'll be back," Nancy blurted, standing up. Before I could turn to respond, she was gone. Something's wrong... I shot a glance at Steve, and he shrugged. I set my plate down and got up, running up the stairs after her.

I found her curled up on her bed, crying softly. I stepped into the room, then gently closed the door behind me. "Nance," I said softly. She looked up to me with red eyes, wiping her tear-stained cheek. I quickly walked over, sitting down beside her. "What's wrong? Are you okay?" I took her hand in mine and squeezed gently. She sniffled, but didn't respond, eyes locked on the ground. "Nancy, I promise, you can tell me." She look up at me, made a face, then shrugged.

NANCY'S POV

"Robs," I started. Why am I overreacting? This should be easy... "I- I can't do it," I stuttered between breaths, staring at my feet once again. Robin looked at me sadly, then rubbed her thumb against my hand. "Nance..." she started. "I know what you're gonna say, 'Nancy, you can do it, I know you can!" "But I can't! I can't! I'm just so scared that he's gonna react weirdly or someone's gonna figure me out before I'm ready to tell people... I'm just really scared something's gonna go wrong," I said quickly, barely stopping for breath. Holy shit, I can't believe I did that. "I'm sorry I interrupted you," I whispered. Robin carefully lifted my chin with her finger, and placed her hand on my cheek. "Don't apologize, Nancy. It's not your fault. Can I tell you a story?" I nodded, then she stood up. "So, did I ever tell you how I came out to Steve?" I shook my head, and she took a deep breath before continuing. "When we were under Starcourt, investigating the Russians, we got separated from Dustin and Erica. They drugged us and locked us in a room for a few hours, but the kids came and saved us." How is it always the kids saving us... "They shoved me and Steve into a movie theater to keep us occupied, but we escaped halfway through Back to the Future. We ran off to the bathroom to throw everything up, and then we just stayed there. He started talking about you, and how you were his first love," she said. I smiled slightly before she continued. "And then he said how he was over you, and he'd fallen for someone else. And that person; it was me. He was in love... with ME. I felt so bad at the time, because I was going to have to tell him. I told him about my crush on Tammy Thompson, and he took it great! Well, it took him a few seconds," Robin laughed, "but he got it eventually." I looked up at Robin, then stood up and wrapped her in a hug. I buried my head in the crook of her neck, and we just stood there. It was nice, to be honest.