iii | mason and me

❝It's you because
no one else makes sense.❞

His words echo in my mind.

A salty tear drop slides down my cheek before I could stop it. I can't believe I'm crying — I'm crying like an idiot. I use the back of my hand to wipe the tears away.

I've never been so happy.

"There's always a chance for us Mason. I never stopped loving you. Never."

His eyes go soft and he smiles gently at me, "I love you."

Those three words sink into my heart and wrapped me in a tight hug. Suddenly, I feel whole again. Like I was complete. Finally, I have him again.

"I love you too," I mumbled softly.

I hope I'm not dreaming.

This feels so unreal.

Mason turns his head towards me and his eyes flicker to my lips. I stop breathing yet again — he meets my gaze.

The space between us gets smaller and smaller. Until he was so close to me. My shaky hand touched his arm, he feels real to me, so real.

"If you leave me again Nala," he tilts his head, "I don't think I'll heal from it," he mutters his lips close to mine but not close enough.

My eyes flicker shut, "I'm never gonna leave."

Not until I take my last breath.

"I've missed your lips," his breath fans my face as his hand cups my cheek, "open your eyes Nala, I've missed them so much. I want you to look at me."

My eyes slowly open.

His lips brush gently against mine and I inhale sharply, "your pupils are dilated."

"That's weird of you to point out," I let out a breathy laugh, "but so are yours."

His thumb grazes my lip, "you're so beautiful. You've always been beautiful. Always."

I inhale sharply, "Mason—"

"I don't know what they said to you, but none of it was true. You were perfect — you are perfect. They didn't deserve you," he cuts me off.

He speaks of all the bullies I've had in the past. From freshman year to senior year — because I was average. Pretty but not pretty enough. I wouldn't have believed him back then but now I do. Because I've spent so many years learning my worth.

His thumb traces my lips, and my body shivers at his touch. I just want him to touch me — to make me his again. I don't care if my mom comes looking for me — I just want Mason. Just Mason.

"Kiss me, please."

His eyes drop to mine and his thumb paused against my lips, "You're so impatient."

"Four years," I mumble, "as you said before it's a long time. I can't go another minute without your lips on mine."

His eyes darken, "When did you get so blunt?" He asks, "the old Nala would never..."