Mitchell

It wasn't long until Maverick was able to contact us and a rescue helicopter was sent his way. I knew immediately that he was alive. He's too stubborn to die just like that. Knowing him he would die in a more... honorable way.

He was brought back to base dirty as hell but in one piece nonetheless. He and I stood in front of the admiral expecting our termination. Prior to entering the office I gave him a knowing look but he just shrugged it off. Now we're standing face to face, expecting all hell to break loose.

"Maverick. Thirty plus years of service. Combat medals, citations. The only man to have shot down three enemy planes in the last forty years. Distinguished, distinguished, distinguished."

He's a stubborn man, that's for sure. Nobody can doubt his stubbornness is on a scale of one to ten a one hundred. He never backs down from what he loves. I would know, I'm the same way, I guess that's why we get along so well.

"But you don't get a promotion. You won't retire. And despite your best efforts you refuse to die. You should at least be a two-star admiral by now, if not a senator. Yet here you are. Captain. Why is that?"

"That's one of life's mysteries, sir."

"This is not a joke. I asked you a question."

"I'm where I belong, sir."

I keep my silence on the side trying to hide my smile. I bit my tongue holding back a response preventing me from getting thrown out. In my naval uniform with my legs evenly spread, my hair tied in a bun and my hand held behind my back I listen in on the conversation. It's funny watching Maverick get his ass handed to him.

"Well, the Navy doesn't see it that way. Not anymore. These planes you've been testing, Captain...one day sooner than later there will be no need for pilots at all. Pilots that need to sleep, eat, take a piss. Pilots that disobeyed orders. All you did was buy some time for those men out there." The Admiral pauses as his eyes dart from the windows to Maverick. "The future is coming and you are not in it. Escort this man off the base," I swallow thickly at his monotone voice and his orders given to his men. "Take him to his quarters. Wait with him while he packs his gear," I bow my head, a frown spreading across my face, "I want him on the road to North Island within the hour."

I pick my head up quickly looking at the brown haired man. He meets my eye, his filled with confusion as he looks back to Cain. "North Island, sir?"

"A call came in with impeccable timing while I was driving here to ground your ass once and for all. It galls me to say it but for reasons only known to the almighty and your guardian angel, you've been called back to Top Gun. Both of you," his eyes train to me still standing quietly in the corner.

For a moment there's silence and in the moment my mind can't help but wander. But one thing sticks to the surface of my mind. What the fuck?

"Sir?"

"You are dismissed, Captain. Viper." We are about to leave our posts when he raises his voice gathering our attention once more. "The end is inevitable, Maverick. Your kind is headed for extinction."

I observe the two seeing Mav slowly face away from me, turning his stunned face to the almighty Admiral with trust issues and an undeniable hatred for the two of us. "Maybe so, sir. But not today."

Maverick leaves the room but I turn back to the Admiral with a smirk. "You know, you just boosted his ego."

"And I'm sure yours as well," I laugh wholeheartedly, "get out of here, Mitchell." As a kind gesture I flip him off spinning on my heel leaving the room.

He may as well be my boss but I know he wouldn't do anything to to terminate me no matter how much I may piss him off. In the end, I'm a Mitchell, and I know someone who will always have my back regardless of any situation.

My father and I, as stupid as it sounds, zoom back to the place we've been calling home. Grabbing our gear we head off to a place we both once knew. Pacific Fleet Naval Air Force.

"Don't do anything stupid in there," I say to him outside the base.

"Why would you say that?" I give him a knowing look which in return I only receive a stupid smile. My eyes roll back as we continue to walk into the air space.

I was once one of the top pilots at Top Gun despite my age. Although after a while I dropped out of the program. I chose to be closer to my father. As a kid he wasn't always there. With being drafted overseas for the Navy I didn't see him much but there's no doubt that I love him. Since the day I was born he's been my rock, my biggest supporter. And with the success of the program granted he did most of the work I know it's brought us closer together.

With visible happiness we pull up to a training base where we will be practicing and flying. Since the beginning it's been my dad and I against the world. As of the present, wherever he goes, I go. I don't think many people grasp that. I'm willing to bet the people here will be surprised. More surprised that I am the Maverick's daughter.

It's been a private thing and only for "need to know" kind of things. Very few people know my identity, otherwise people only know me by my call name: Viper.

Stepping into a conference room we stand in front of two military men.

"Captain Pete 'Maverick' Mitchell, your reputation precedes you."

"Thank you, sir."

"It wasn't a compliment."

I silently groan, shaking my head. Great, here we go again.