Bradshaw

If it wasn't guessed before I guess I can confirm it to you now. Yeah, I know Penny. Not personally since she has no clue who I am but I know much about her relationship with my father. I've come to the age I'd much rather drink toilet water than watch them silently flirt with each other and neglect to tell each other their feelings.

Dad gets it... I hope.

"Oh come on!" Initially I was watching the waves at a high table closest to the back door but I see now that there is a whole crew coming in making things all the more interesting driving my attention away from the lovely waves.

As they stumble up to the pool table I recognize them as some of the people in on this mission training thing I'll be helping out with.

"What do we have here?" a buff man with short dirty blonde hair shouts over the room. All eyes turn to the trio, "well is it ain't Phoenix. And here I thought we were special Coyote. It turns out they can be invited by anyone." Jake Seresin, cocky much, but hot.

"Fellas, this here is Bagman-"

"Hangman," he corrects.

"-Whatever," she grins, "you're looking at the only Navy aviator on active duty with a confirmed air to air kill."

"Stop," Hangman coos mockingly.

"Mind you, it was a museum piece from the Korean War," she retaliates.

"Cold War," his buddy correts making me chuckle rather loudly but they ignore me thankfully.

"Different wars, same century."

"Not in this one," a point proven by team Phoenix. I'm going to have a lot of fun with this, I just know it.

"Who are your friends?"

"Payback."

"Fanboy."

"Hey, Coyote."

"Hey." a man with a chiseled jaw and black hair replies to Phoenix.

"Who is this?"

"Who is who?"

Their attention to a man eating peanuts with a drink in his lap. With a scrawny face and glasses he reminds me of the guy I saw back in the Mojave Desert. To be entirely honest I never even realized he was there. After all, I've just been chilling in my uniform sipping on a margarita not giving a shit.

"When did you get in?"

"O-oh I was here the whole time."

"The man is a stealth pilot," Hangman comments.

"Literally."

The kid trembles as he replies with a smile plastered on his pale face. "Weapons systems officer, actually."

Hangman looks disappointed by the response. "With no sense of humor," I snort at that and turn away still listening to the conversation.

With a pool stick in hand Phoenix asks, "what do they call you?"

"Bob."

"No, your call sign."

"Bob."

I look around to see that Hangman has disappeared. A glimpse of his big head in the crowd makes me smile. He walks along the back wall walking intimidatingly to me. He hands me a beer making me tilt my head in surprise. I raise a brow at him interested in what his plan is.

"It's not often you see a beautiful girl sitting alone in a bar."

I pinch my lips together, quinting at him slightly. "Does that line always work for you when you try to pick up girls, Hangman?"

He chuckles lightly, "oh so you're an eavesdropper too?"

"Simply intrigued by the competition between you and your Navy buddies."

He hums as he stares into my emerald orbs. I imitate his actions seeing as his are bright green as well. I lean in, resting my arms on the table ensuring I won't knock over the free beer handed to me getting into his space but he doesn't budge. He reflects my movement inching closer as well. "So, you know my name, can I know yours?"

I bite my lip playing with him, "call me Viper."

"Viper? That's your name?"

"The only one you're getting," I wink.

"Bradshaw!" The sound of that last name makes my smile falter. I look to the bar and see my father have the same reaction quickly turning away. "Is that you?"

I dip out of my seat quickly making a dash to the bar ledge opposite of Maverick. We make eye contact. He tips his head as if asking me for confirmation, which I nod to confirm his suspicions.

Annoyingly Hangman joins me at my side add a couple of beers to my dad's list of shit he needs to pay for tonight. "Penny my dear, I'll add four more on the old timer." I cover my mouth suppressing a laugh as my dad's eyes stare into my skull. I cover my laughter with a messed up cough.

From the back I hear a conversation between Bradshaw and Phoenix start as he gets closer to the pool table. "This is how I find out you're state side?"

"Yeah, I just thought I'd surprise you."

Bradley Bradshaw. In the flesh. Khaki shorts, a white T, hawaiian button up, dark sunglasses and a classic mustache. As I live and breathe. From the pictures I've seen there's no doubt he looks just like his father.

Phoenix leans over the pool table preparing to hit the cue ball. As she hits it she jabs the back end of the pool stick into his abdomen making him hunch over in pain. She spins around calmly holding the stick in her hands grinning down at him. "I guess I surprised you back."

He glances up with one eye shut forcing a smile, "it's good to see you."

"You too." He taps her shoulder before walking away.

"Here you go."

"Thank you. Much appreciated pops," he looks to Mav then down at me. He smirks wickedly before walking away. Yeah, he's so full of himself.

And with that I take my leave. I think I've had enough socializing for one day. I head out the door as my father hands Penny his card to pay for the many drinks. I take a seat outside on the steps of the door. Taking my sunglasses from my chest pocket. I look out to the water admiring the view. You get to see the deep blue sea, dazzling sun, open skies, and over eighty degree weather like this twenty four seven. It's a relief.

I hear the bell inside be rung and pinch my lips together. Hearing everyone shout "overboard" I huff out a breath and scooch closer to the railing. In moments time the doors swing open and my lovely father is thrown out. Hangman standing by my shoulders he shouts loudly over the people, "thanks for the beers," he saluts, "come back anytime." Then he walks back and closes the door behind him.

I laugh hysterically as I stand from my spot walking over to him. "Oh come on old man, I was sure you were going to put up a fight." Showing my pearly whites to him I extend a hand pulling him to his feet.

"Shut it kid," he smiles.

"I'm your favorite kid."

"You're my only kid."

The two of us walk alongside the bar. I keep walking but I realize my father has stopped a little ways back. Seeing him peer into the window with a glum expression I know what's going through his mind. Rooster. More specifically him and his buddies joyfully singing to Great Balls of Fire. I remember that.

As I grew up my father taught me that song. Goose and Rooster were the most important people in his life. I know that in some way our relationship will never compare to the one Maverick dreams of having with Bradley someday.

He shys away from the sight training his eyes to the sand. I sigh sadly and walk up to him. I slip my arms around his muscled torso squeezing lightly letting him know I'm there for comfort. His hands find their way to my back side. He tightens his hold silently thanking me. It's always been our thing.

In a hushed tone I whisper, "It's okay."

It's going to be okay.