chapter 2

Carrie knocked on the door and then stuck her head inside.

"I'm heading out with Laur and Susannah, need anything?" She asked and Samara shook her head.

"Go have fun!" Samara yelled as her mom closed the door.

Carrie deserved these summers. Not only is she a full time mom, but also a full time doctor with barely any breaks. These summers are booked off months in advance and sometimes she literally has to beg on her hands and knees for them off.

Samara pulled herself off her bed and changed into a tank top and shorts before padding downstairs to start her just dance marathon. When she arrived in the kitchen Conrad was there, brooding of course.

"What's with this new personality, emo," Samara asked, getting the orange juice from the fridge. She walked over to the cupboard and grabbed a glass.

"Emo?" Conrad asked, slightly offended.

"Yeah, you're so sad and just totally not the connie I know," Samara said with a shrug.

"Where are the moms?" Conrad asked, avoiding the subject.

"No idea. Off gallivanting somewhere in town, I guess,"

Conrad nodded and looked down at his hands, Samara pouted.

"Do you want to play just dance with me?" She asked begrudgingly.

Samara never asked anyone to play just dance with her. Ever. It was tradition that she'd play all summer by herself and see how well her scores are compared to other summers. But she could feel the anxiety coming off of Conrad. So she decided she would leave selfish Samara back in New York city, and start a new tradition.

Make Connie smile.

"Seriously?" Conrad asked and Samara nodded.

"You've got good form. Get to it," Samara said carrying her drink into the living room.

"I'm so gonna beat you," Conrad said jumping over the back of the couch.

Samara scoffed, "I'd like to see you try, emo boy,"

At dinner, it was the usual smiles and laughter that made Samara's day. They were like one huge family, and she absolutely loved being apart of it. She was sat beside Belly, in her star wars shirt and boy shorts. Steven said she looked like Adam Sandler, but that's exactly the look she was going for.

"Steven, I swear to God, if you look at that phone one more time, I'm putting it in the screen basket," Laurel snapped, Samara clicked her fingers and Steven just fake smiled at her.

"It's just, we want to see your beautiful faces," Susannah said, easing the blow.

"Can dinner be a screen-free zone? You know like the olden days," Carrie asked, sipping on her wine.

Samara rolled her eyes, picking at her food. She looked over at Conrad and rolled her eyes again - what is with today? Her eyes are going to get permanently stuck like this now. Emo Conrad seems like he's here to stay and Samara does not like that.

"Steven-" Jeremiah said, grabbing the phone from Steven making Samara cackle. He threw the phone and landed it.

"Dude, are you kidding me?"

"Boom! Nailed it,"

"Jeremiah, have you been working out?" Samara asked wiggling her eyebrows. Jeremiah puckered his lips and then started to show off his muscles.

Steven didn't like that.

"Okay, Okay, okay, we get it, you've been working out," Steven said.

Belly laughed, "Oh, you're just jealous because Jere has a better body than you,"