vii. CONCERT.

Bella glowered at her reflection in the body-length mirror, laced with golden gild, which Magnus had supplied her with. Usually she didn't put much effort into her outfits, only going with whatever felt right for each day, but tonight was different. Tonight, she needed to look disinterested and unapproachable . . . but also like the type of person you would reach out to if you ever needed magical assistance.

She hadn't even agreed to attending the buzzkill's little concert, but she had received a text from an unknown number that said "Java Jones" without any other context, so she presumed the invitation was still open. She didn't want to run into the Shadowhunters again, which was why she was dressed in all-black -- the perfect escape to disappear into the night.

Her leather jacket was tossed over a sleeveless polyester turtleneck, jeans torn at the knees, and combat boots. All black, of course. She looked like the "edgy kids" from her old middle school.

Still. At least it would help her blend into the background. She pulled her wavy red hair into a loose bun, gave her reflection one last scowl, and then headed into the living room.

"I'm going out," Bella said. She said this, of course, while looking directly at Chairman Meow. Saying it to Magnus's face would feel like asking for permission or approval, neither of which she was comfortable with. "You work tonight?"

Magnus kept strange hours. Most of the Shadow World slipped into his apartment in the dead of night to request help for their countless problems. But Magnus charged a handsome fee and seemed content to sip whiskey in the corner and overlook the city through his kitchen window, so it wasn't such a big deal for him.

"I work every night, my dear." He set down his glass onto the coffee table and eyed her speculatively. "That's not the most glamorous outfit for a first date."

Bella felt her cheeks warm and glared. "It isn't a date," she snapped. "I'm going to see some local band perform at a coffee shop. It's not that deep."

Magnus hummed in agreement, though it didn't look like he believed her. Not wanting to continue the conversation, Bella grabbed her backpack off the coat rack and slung it on. "Goodbye, Magnus," she said stiffly. She pointedly ignored his chuckles as she stormed out of the apartment.

It was only a (relatively) short ride on the subway to reach the coffee shop. Bella had passed it multiple times before ending up on the doorstep of the Hotel Dumort when she first arrived in New York, even stopping in once for breakfast, so it wasn't difficult for her to relocate it.

She hovered outside the cafe, autumn leaves blowing gently through the twilight scene. A drizzle of thick rain drops gradually kissed her skin, falling from the overcast sky above. Inside, golden light escaped from the confines of the little building, illuminating the cobblestone street that led into it. She heard faint music and louder chatter, some laughter and whistles. A cafe filled with life. Before she could reconsider for the hundredth time, she stepped inside.

Her eyes fell on Simon naturally. That made sense. He was the only person she recognized in the entire cafe.

Simon was setting up onstage, helping a friend tune a guitar. He kept glancing away, as if searching through the crowd, and disappointment clouded his features each time.

Bella slipped into the crowd unnoticed. It didn't seem like most people were paying attention to the band setting up. Instead, they were chattering amongst themselves in the center of the cafe, or they were buried away in the corners with a laptop and a stack of thick textbooks. College students, she presumed, spending free time wasting away on an education. She almost pitied them.

Then she remembered that she was spending her free time willingly watching some local band that was probably terrible, and she reconsidered.

She ordered a black iced coffee with hazelnut, paying with some of the spare money that she still had in her backpack. The barista had just called out her order when she heard the telltale screech of microphone feedback, instantly silencing all happy communication or exhausted studying throughout the cafe.