• - CHAPTER 4 - •

We took the mountainous road towards Alvarez’s mansion, located at one of their hacienda in Silay City.

I let my eyes run over each hue of nature’s view, seeing imperfections for the first time, yet feeling that as details created by an artistic hand, they render it all the more beautiful it was made.

I scoffed.

I expected that the party will be held at their extravagant mansion in Bacolod which was stated at the invitation but it was changed last minute before the event. So, here we are, travelling, as our car made its steady way along the secluded road of Silay City.

After almost an hour, the car finally stopped.

The travel itself made me feel tired already. Parang gusto ko na lang umuwi at mahiga sa malambot kong kama buong araw.

As we enter the two- storey mansion, its breathtaking image was served and we were given privilege to admire its divine perfection.

The mansion stood there as if the surrounding nature had embraced it. The flora flowed within it as much as around it. The architect must have had loved the trees so much that there was a mighty oak in the centre, centuries old, and the great house had been built around it. The banister was a twirl of a branch, tamed by the carpenter’s hand, its grain flowing as water might, in waves of comforting woodland hues. Under the lamp- shine, it was a nature’s art, something that soothed right to the soul. The mansion was all concrete and tall glass windows that gave a view of the mountains, as well as the whole city below the vicinity, given a chance to relax and take in the changing of the seasons, from the comfort of an easy chair.

Clever and Trevor went out from the car and immediately opened the doors for me and Tifanny.

“Wow. This is . . . insane.” Tiffany admiringly commented after walking out the car.

Clever guided my hand to support me as I walked out the car.

“Thanks,”  I genuinely said.

We made our way inside.

The house was welcoming from the open door to the wide hallway. Upon the walls were the photographs of children, so obviously so loved. The floor was an old- fashioned parquet with a blend of deep homely browns and the walls were the greens of summer gardens meeting a bold white baseboard.

I led the way and the three followed me. We are now walking on the red carpet with masks worn, on our way to the main hall. I was walking fairly, tall and pretty with a fresh morning glow on my face, a beaming smile, and dreamy eyes.

As always, I am conscious of the eyes on me and often times I am wondering.

Is it because of my skin color?

My height?

Either from both, I really don’t know.

“So, it’s true! The leader of Risum was actually a miss, not a mister!”

“Oh my f*cking heavens she’s so gorgeous in her dress! This is my first time seeing her and I think, I’m a fan already!”

“Agree. She’s remarkable. Her reputations speaked so much about her. I think, it would be great to be her friend.”

“She won’t like you, Nico. You’re out of her league. You couldn’t even master the basic martial arts!”

“This the first time appearance of Risum’s leader. After decades of silence, they finally decided to show off.”

I smiled after hearing various comments in every table we passed through.

I’m famous, huh?