Chapter Twenty-One

'I think she is.' Sparrow wrote with pride.

"How did you do it? How have you lived so long without hating yourself for existing?" Renjun asked, voice wobbling. 

"I did for a long time dear, but then I came to terms with it. I can't control who I am. But I can control what I do with it. I learned to keep those who loved me close and cut ties with those who hurt me. I am a free spirit and I do what I choose without regret." 

"Thank you." Renjun bowed once more. 

"What for?" 

"I realize what I have to do now." 

'What is that?' Sparrow raised an eyebrow.

"Live without regret. I think I'm ready to confess to Jaemin." 

Much to Renjun's surprise, Sparrow pulled him into a hug. He tensed up as an initial reaction, but then softened into her arms. 

The three misfits spent the rest of the evening playing board games and laughing with one another. It was the first time that Renjun let himself go. Sparrow was proud of him. 

He was shy and funny...And a real sweetheart. The real Renjun was a delight to be around. 

Later in the evening, Jeno and Jaemin showed up after their movie. 

Jeno was so used to coming over that he didn't bother knocking anymore and just walked in. 

"Hello everyone!" He gave his signature eye smile. 

"Renjun? What are you doing here?" Nana asked as he sat on Sparrow's lap, deliberately squishing her.

"I...Well Mark made me come over...But then it was actually nice to spend time with these lovely ladies. 

As Renjun was responding, Sparrow was busy smacking Jaemin with her hands to try and get him off of her. Finally, she was fed up with him and pinched his nipples, making him squeak and fall off her. 

"Oh, so you wanna fight huh Birdie?" Nana yowled at her. 

Sparrow made a face like a roaring lion and jumped on top of him, and they proceeded to tickle the hell out of each other. 

"She's really a mellow girl you know...Until that boy shows up and brings out the chaos in her." Gran told Jeno as they sat and watched the two kids wrestle. 

"Yeah, Nana has always found a way to bring out different sides to people. He's been my best friend since we learned to walk. I love him you know." Jeno chuckled. 

Gran nodded and rubbed his shoulder.