The Nightmare

"Please, wait!", Katherine was screaming. That was the last sound Jack had heard before he left the house.
That night was terrifying. The sky was screaming too. Lightning flashed across the sky and the storm was coming.
This day was Katherine's nightmare. The last thing she wanted to happen was this - breakup between them. Katherine loves Jack, and she always will, but Jack was unpredictable. He loves her too. Oh, he loves her so much that he has to let her go and she knew that, but Katherine doesn't want this to happen. She wants to be here for Jack, to help him even if that means she can get hurt. That didn't matter. But Jack is stubborn and he can't let Katherine get hurt because of him, he must do that alone and because he loves her, Jack left her that terrible night.
Now, she is in her house, alone. She is sitting next to the old wooden door. She was scared. Not because of the storm, her mother taught her not to be afraid of something like that a long time ago when she was just a little girl. But now, when she is all grown up, she is scared for him and hates the fact she is useless. Her tears are falling on the wooden floor down her face which was red with rage and sadness that burns like a fire in her weak chest.
She is just sitting there and watching the tree through the window and how it's fighting against the ruthless wind. Outside feels like in her heart, she is also fighting, but not against wind, but the storm of feelings. It seems like the night was endless until the first ray of sunshine has appeared in the black sky, at that moment she fall asleep on the cold floor with the hope this nightmare will end when she woke up near Jack's shoulder. But, unfortunately, Katherine woke up next to Alice, her childhood best friend.
Alice has long, dark brown hair and green eyes, she was taller and a year younger than Katherine. She enrolled in the same College as Katherine, so they could be always together. But they don't live together, Alice lives with her parents and Katherine lives with her boyfriend Jack, well she used to until last night when everything changed. Alice called her in the morning to see if Katherine was okay because of the storm. But, Katherine didn't answer the phone and she thought that maybe something happened to her so she came to see what is going on. When Alice entered the house she has what to see. Katherine was laying on the floor, her T-shirt was wet from crying and her eyes were black because the little makeup she was wearing was smeared with tears. Alice asked her, " What happened there last night?". Katherine tried to speak, but she was too weak. Alice stood up and went to the kitchen to bring her a glass of water. The kitchen was a complete mess - dirty dishes were everywhere and a few glasses were broken, Alice got scared. She washed a few plates and poured water into a clean glass she had taken from a shelf that Katherine's parents got on their wedding day about twenty years ago. When you take a good look you will see that most pieces of furniture in Katherine's house are old, that's because everything she has in her house is from the little cottage where Katherine used to live with her parents when she was small before the tragedy happened. Alice ran and took the water to her friend who was still lying with tears in her eyes and cursing yesterday. She lifted Katherine's head into her lap and gave Katherine a drink of water to freshen up. When Katherine "got back to life," Alice asked her again about last night and what's happened there. At first, Katherine just shook her head, not wanting to remember anything. She doesn't want to talk and Alice does not want to pressure her so she lifted her from the floor and she led her to the couch. When Katherine was lying in the bed Alice went upstairs and brought her s blanket that she has got as a present from her parents. That was a thin, dark blue blanket with stars and planets. Alice covered Katherine with that blanket and let her rest. Now, Alice is sitting in the armchair across from the couch where is Katherine and thinking about what could have happened.
The Sun has sunk into the deep golden sky and the Moon is begging to appear. With the first stars and the moonlight, Alice decided to get up and clean the mess in the kitchen. She starts with dirty plates which are lying on the new table that Katherine and Jack bought a month ago when they renovated the house. After that, she washed glasses, forks and leftover plates that were in the sink. And just when she thought that there are no more dirty dishes, she saw with the angle of her green eye one silver knife lying on the floor under the table. Alice knelt on her knees to reach for the knife and then saw a drop of blood on the edge of the table. At first, she wasn't paying so much attention. She washed the knife which also had a few red drops of blood and put it with other dishes to get dry. Then, Alice went back to the living room where was Katherine still sleeping on the couch. Alice looked at the little shell with pictures of Katherine, her family and Jack who is now who knows where. She noticed that one picture fell so she came to the shell to pick up the picture. When she picked it up she saw a broken glass frame and a torn picture. On the leftover piece was Jack. Alice remembered that this is the picture from the first summer vacation they spent together in Greece. She was the person that took this picture of them. Alic thought, "What happened there last night, why was Katherine so upset". At that moment Katherine woke up and got up from the couch. Alice heard her, looked at Katherine and with a confused face told Katherine, "You have some things to explain".