The Ghost

Katherine was just looking at her with eyes which were still watery because of tears. Alice got scared. It seemed like Katherine isn't the same anymore. She can't see diamonds in her sky-blue eyes, it's like Jack stole them from her with his veiny hands that night or maybe someone else who was in their house. Katherine is staring at Alice blankly like there is no more sign of life in her soul. Katherine seemed just empty. She was sitting on the couch with a completely pale face. Alice seemed to see a ghost roaming the rooms of Katherine's house. She was horrified. Katherine's plate face was covered with marks of black makeup and her hair glowing because of silver shiny moonlight that was making Katherine look more like a ghost than a human being. Alice scaredly asked her again, "Katherine, what's happened there?". Scenes from that night started to appear in Katherine's head. Everything she saw was blurry and it was scaring her. She tried to speak. Katherine managed to finish a few short sentences, " He tried to kill Jack. That man with long black hair and deep dark eyes tried to kill my Jack. Because of him, Jack left me that night. He doesn't want to...". Katherine was trying to finish her thoughts, but the cold sweat flooded her face, she lost consciousness and found herself on the cold floor again. Alice did not know what was going on. She called an ambulance and sit down near Katherine, hugging her and whispering in her ear that everything will be okay. In a few minutes, people in white clothes entered the house through the door. One of them was a tall man with short brown hair, his eyes were green like trees. And the other was a skinny woman with long black hair and makeup that highlights her blue eyes. Alice heard a siren from the ambulance from the outside. They took Katherine with them and told Alice not to worry, that her friend will be okay and that she had passed out from trauma and stress, but it isn't serious. Also, they told her Katherine can go back home probably tomorrow if everything goes well.
Alice escorted them to the car, returned to the house and started to cry. She told herself that everything would be fine, that she mustn't be afraid. All of that effort she has put not to cry was in vain. With tears in her eyes, Alice started to look for some kind of evidence or clue that will help her to figure out what happened to Jack last night.
She quickly went upstairs and entered the first room on her left. That was Jack's and Katherine's bedroom. On their bed, a white bedsheet wasn't fitted, but pillows were in their places so Alice assumed that the mess on the bed was because of them when they got up. Everything else in their bedroom was in place, just as she remembered. On the right side of the bed near a big window was a wooden closet. On the opposite side of the room was Katherine's make-up table with an elegant mirror which Jack bought her this year for her twenty-second birthday. Long beige curtains covered half the window through which the moonlight lit up the floor. Still a little upset, she left the room and closed the door behind her. Alice felt as if the closed door gave her some kind of security.
She checked the rest of the rooms and made sure that whoever was here last night was not upstairs. She went downstairs and remembered the blood on the silver knife from their kitchen. She ran to the kitchen and went to a desk which is standing in the middle of the kitchen. She knelt and saw dried blood smears on the corner of the table to her right. Because Alice's mother is a famous forensic scientist in Vegas she tried to take a blood sample with the hope that her mother would be able to tell her whose blood it is. When she has finished taking samples in the kitchen Alice went back into the living room to the shelf where the picture frame was broken and saw a few drops of blood. She took a sample of this too and called her mother Jasmine.

Alice: "Hey, mum. Something serious happened last night in Katherine's house. She said that some man broke into her house and attacked Jack, her boyfriend. Before she had lost her consciousness, Katherine didn't say who was the man. I found the blood on the desk and picture frame so I took a sample of it just like you learned me to do. Can you help me to find out whose it is?"

Jasmine (Alice's mum): "Hey, honey. Is Katherine okay now?", she asked anxiously.

Alice: "She is in hospital now, but they said that it is not anything serious, she lost her consciousness because of stress. Katherine will be okay 'till tomorrow."

Jasmine: "Oh, thanks to God. That kid lost too much, you need to help her."
Alice: "Yes, I know and I will. But, I need little help from you, mum."

Jasmine: "Yes, of course. What do I have to do?"

Alice: "Well, as I told you a few seconds before, I took the sample so I need you to tell me whose the blood is. I don't know how to do that alone."

Jasmine: "Come home, it's getting late. We will do that together, but tomorrow. My office is locked now. Does dad have to come and pick you up?"

Alice: "No, I am fine. I will walk back to our house. Don't worry, I am back in fifteen minutes."

Jasmine: "Okay, bye."

Alice: "Oh, and mum, thanks."

Jasmine: "No problem, darling. I am here for everything you need. Katherine has only us now."

Alice: "I know. Okay, see you later mum, bye."

Jasmine: "Kk, bye."

Alice hung up the call and left Katherine's house. She locked the door and headed home. "Katherine, everything will be fine. I am here. I will help you. We will find Jack together", Alice was thinking while she was walking toward her home.