Chapter 5

“I really think you should sing that last note in a higher key” the newly hired producer says again like a broken record, throwing out the same unreasonable suggestion every time Jennie re-recorded that specific part. 

Now she doesn't believe in using fists to solve problems but she is this close to punching the man in the face.

“The key is too high for me.” Jennie's tone is firm, but it’s impossible to hide her annoyance. She runs a frustrated hand through her dark hair.

“Why don't you give it one more try?” he pleads to her. “It’ll pack more of a punch if you hit this note instead of Chaeyoung-ssi, the fans would never expect it. You are seeing the vocal coach I hired right? I'm sure she taught you the techniques you could use”

“No, I know I need more vocal training and I'm bettering myself everyday but I will not use an unhealthy technique to hit those notes. I've had enough of that. I've been developing my voice in a natural order and I will continue to do so” Jennie argues.

She is ready to rip her own hair out. Jennie knows exactly what this man is up to. He wants to end the song on his note. He’s been pulling shit like this ever since Teddy gave him the opportunity to prove himself and ever since then he has been doing everything he can to single out his own voice while shoving the girls and her into the deep end.

Teddy did ask their permission before agreeing to let him work with blackpink and Jennie should have said hell no to the suggestion, but he decided to show his true colors only after they started recording, and now it’s too late to back out. 

She has invested too much time in this song, and honestly, Jennie truly does love the way it is turning out. Rosie wrote an incredible piece, and a part of her really doesn’t want to let her member down. 

But luckily although this guy is arrogant, he’s not stupid. He knows who holds more power in this relationship and eventually he will have to relent. Jennie is done with being forced to do things she doesn't want to do and she has made that very clear to everyone at this company.

“Fine,” he snaps. “We’ll do it your way”

She grit her teeth at his tone. “Thank you.”

Fortunately, their hour was up, which means the recording space is about to belong to one of the developing trainees of YG's up and coming girl group. 

Eager to get out of there, Jennie quickly gathers her things and slips into her coat. The less time she has to spend with this man, the better.

Ironically, the song Rosie wrote was a love song. The irony being she and Lisa were the only members in their group that was actually single.

“Same time tomorrow?” He eyes her expectantly.

“No, tomorrow is my day off and I've already made plans”

Displeasure hardens his face. “You know, we could’ve mastered this song a long time ago if your schedule wasn’t so…inconvenient.”

"Excuse me?" He must see the anger in her face because he immediately backs down and mutter a 'nevermind' 

Jennie is fuming but she lets it go. She doesn't want to make a scene but she definitely will be speaking to Teddy about him. He is truly underestimating her group position in the company. At this point Blackpink is what keeps YG afloat and since their contract is up for renewal next year, the company is under pressure to keep the four girls happy.

Blackpinks dorm is a 5 minute ride from the YG building, and Jennie breathes a sigh of relief when the car pulls up at the gates. It’s been a long day, and all she wants to do is take a hot shower and crawl into bed.