03

MELODY DAVIS knocked on the door of Kevin's apartment, as she waited for him to open it. She was on her way to school and needed somebody to walk her. Jake had something to do with Reg, so he was gonna arrive at school late.

Melody sighed, before pulling out her phone and texting Kevin.

To: Kevin
I'm outside your house. Open the door.

The door instantly opened up and revealed his older sister, Keisha, with a glass of orange juice in her hand.

"Oh, hi, Melody!" Keisha greeted, smiling. "Hi, Keisha. Is Kevin in?" Melody asked. "Yeah, girl. He in his room, getting ready for school. You can come in, if you'd like." Keisha said. "That would be great. Thank you." Melody replied.

Keisha opened the door and Melody walked inside the apartment. She saw an older woman standing over the dining table, with a hand on her hip. Keisha closed the door back, before siting down.

"Who's this pretty lady?" Ms. Williams asked. "Mom, this is Melody. Kevin's friend." Keisha said. "Hi. It's nice to meet you." Melody said, holding her hand out. "You too, Melody. I'm Nina." Ms. Williams responded, shaking her hand.

"She's the new girl that Kevin's been talking. The one who moved in with Jake." Keisha stated. "Oh, really? No wonder he speaks so highly of you. You're very beautiful." Nina said. "Aw. Thank you. So are you." Melody responded.

"Hey yall." Kevin greeted sleepily, walking out of his bedroom "Looks like somebody on the struggle bus this morning." Nina said. "You not gone say hi to your friend?" Keisha spoke, pointing at Melody and making him turn around.

"Melody? What you doing here?" Kevin asked.

"I came to see if you wanted to walk to school with me." Melody said. "Oh, yeah, sure. Of course." Kevin smiled, making her blush. "You can eat with us, before y'all go." Nina offered. "Okay, yeah. Thank you." Melody replied.

Kevin sat down at the table and Melody took the chair next to him.

They both started eating their food.

"Why you look so grumpy today, Kev?" Nina asked. "I didn't sleep well." Kevin said. "He nervous about that play." Keisha uttered. "What play? My baby in play?" Nina asked. "The whiz. He auditioned for it." Keisha answered.

"The whiz, really? That's good." Nina said, walking out the kitchen.

"Really, Keisha? You got a big fucking mouth." Kevin insulted. "Language!" Nina shouted. "Dollar." Karen spoke up, walking out her bedroom. "I ain't got no money." Kevin said. "Well, then, put your marker in. Gone." Karen demanded.

Kevin sighed and stood up from his chair, before walking over to the swear jar.

"It should be two dollars for talking to your sister like that." Karen remarked.

"Morning, babe." Nina said, as she kissed Dre's lips.
"Morning." Karen responded. "Coffee?" Nina asked.
"Please." Karen answered, before looking over at Melody. "Hi." Melody spoke, nervously. "We having company this morning?" Karen asked.

"Dre, that's Melody. Kevin's new friend. The girl he's been talking about." Keisha voiced. "Oh, yeah, uh, Melody, right?" Karen inquired. "Yeah, that's me. Nice to meet you." Melody confirmed. "Wow. Kevin sure can pick 'em, huh, babe?" Karen retorted.