Part 1

This is the story of how I learned where I belong. My name is Isla, and on my 18th birthday, I got hit with the biggest shock of my life.

Today is a slow day at the bookstore. Not many people are coming in but that could be due to it snowing. As I am reshelving books, the only customer walks up to the front desk "I'll be with you in a minute" I call over my shoulder and place the last book on the shelf before hurrying over.

Once I get to the front desk I freeze, none other than Caleb, the most popular guy in school, is standing there. Wanting to buy a book? I start walking again and then smile at him, taking the book and scanning it "that will be ten dollars and fifty-nine cents please."

As he hands me the money I feel a shock run up my arm and see his eyes flash gold for a moment. After I put the money in the cash register I see, that his eyes were a beautiful emerald green and not the gold I thought I saw. I then hand him the book and smile lightly.

"Have a great day." I give the normal goodbye as he starts to walk out only to see him turn back towards me.

"You as well.."

"It's Isla," I say, realizing he never knew my name.

"You as well Ms. Isla."

I watch as he leaves, noticing the small smile on his face and how his eyes had a slight fire in them as he said my name. I shake my head surprised at what I was thinking and start closing down the shop with a small sigh.

I smile as I dust off the mahogany wood table then go and close the blinds. I turn the open sign to the closed side and walk out the door grabbing my coat and locking the door behind me. I sigh lightly, and pull my black coat tighter around me, and start walking home.

I notice people putting up Christmas decorations as I'm walking and sigh softly. "Everyone is so happy" I mumble before I look at the woods and head towards them going to my home. I finally start to relax letting a true smile appear, as I hear the wolves howling in the distance and see the scenery change into something I still think of as magical today.

The trees are all covered in a light blanket of snow and icicles are gleaming like gems in the sunlight as I walk to the meadow in the center of the forest where my house is, well it's more of a small cottage but it's perfect to me. As I walk into the meadow I see a wolf with dark brown eyes with silver streaks, just sitting there watching me.

I go inside quickly and look out the window on the door, watching the wolf as he gets up and walks back into the woods. I let out a sigh of relief as I slid down the door wondering why a wolf was basically in my front yard.

After a few minutes, I get up and walk to the kitchen with a sigh and look in the fridge for the ingredients I need for dinner, and smile slightly. I hum softly as I work on cooking my meal for the night. My mind started to go back to the encounter with Caleb at the bookstore as I cooked, making me wonder what was with the shock I felt when our hands touched.

I finish cooking and put my dinner on a plate before going to my living room and sitting on the navy blue microfiber couch I have, and sigh, I grab my t.v remote and start looking on pear anime streaming for an anime to watch while eating to take my mind off of what happened.

I settled for an anime called The Song Of Blood. I set the remote down and start eating after I start the anime, my eyes not leaving the t.v screen at all.

About an hour or two later I hear the phone ring and groan pausing the show.

I get up and answer the phone with a yawn.

"Hello?"

"Hello, Isla." My godmother Scarlet replies from the other end sounding tired.

"Aunt Scarlet, what a surprise, is everything alright?"

"Everything's fine dear, I just wanted to wish you an early birthday. I won't be able to call for a while."

"Oh, thanks, well um I have some news about what you asked me last time we talked."

"What is it dear? Do you finally have a crush on someone?"

I laugh softly "well you know the boy Caleb I told you about from my class, I may or may not have a small crush on him."

"Oooooooh Isla if you don't go for this you're going to lose your chance."

"I-I wait, you want me to confess?!"

"Well yes, Isla you deserve to find happiness don't let the argument we had over you being a potential shifter make you believe otherwise. I realize what I felt about you going and discovering who you were was fear of losing you the same way we lost your parents now."

"Aunt Scarlet" I sigh "I know you were worried and I know you are still but I've forgiven you a long time ago so please don't beat yourself up over it."

"Alright dear but still take the chance before you lose it and get some sleep you know how late it is" she scolds me softly.

I giggle lightly "yes I know and I will, to both things good night Aunt Scarlet."

"Good night dear, sleep well." She hangs up.

I sigh and put the phone up and go take care of my dishes. I turn off the show and head to my room with a small smile.

"Tomorrow's a new day, maybe I will try to talk with him" I mumble getting under my blankets after I got dressed and fall asleep quickly but not before hearing a wolf howl a sad medley.