Chapter 10

Not long after confirming that his mate was gone, Alpha Mason had sent out word of this she-wolf who had kidnapped his mate. Despite this, Karma remained true to her word and had managed to rig up cell and internet service in the castle so Jenna was able to call Mason.

After having a week of no contact with his mate, Mason and his wolf began to fear the worst. Initially, he had been angry towards Jenna for leaving him. He saw it as a betrayal of their mate bond, but his wolf was quick to point out Karma's words. The two began to thoroughly reflect on their treatment of their mate.

Mason had been angry at Jenna for putting herself in danger, and when he learned that they had lost their baby he was livid. After reflecting, he realized that he was upset at Jenna, but more-so at himself for never having considered her point of view. He'd been selfish, and a part of him had always known that. Part of the reason he'd avoided her so much was that he'd felt guilt whenever he'd see her, and he didn't know how to handle that. Instead of addressing it with her, and acknowledging his own role in the death of their child, it was easier to push the blame on someone else. Unfortunately, the true culprit was dead so Mason had pointed his blame at Jenna.

When the time came that Jenna finally called, he'd been convinced she would never forgive him. He begged to see her in person, because he wanted to apologize properly. He wanted her to be able to look him in the eye and understand he meant every word he said.

Karma was reluctant; however, she had promised Jenna the freedom to choose whether she stayed. Due to her concern, though, Jenna agreed to meet Mason as long as it was somewhere neutral. They settled on a hotel in human territory, and had a very emotional reunion. In the end, Jenna forgave her mate and decided to return home where Mason promised to straighten everything out with the pack.

Of course, Karma kept an eye on them after that; but, it seemed that this one story had a happy ending. The same could not be said for so many others in need, though, and Karma worked with Christina for another year and a half to rescue other neglected and abused wolves.

Some of their stories turned to happy endings, but the vast majority remained living in the castle with Karma and Christina, where they now made up the Forsaken pack. Most of the wolves were women; however, Karma did not discriminate who she set out to save and a smattering of men and children could also be found in the castle.

After a period of settling in and coming to terms with their new lives, every wolf was expected to train with the pack. This was primarily to restore confidence to those abused; but, it was also due to the newly realized rumours about the pack. In the unlikely event the castle was found, the pack members would need to be able to defend themselves.

After Alpha Mason reported Karma to the other Alphas, she and the Forsaken pack became targets of hatred. Nobody would ever admit to wrongdoing, which meant the true reasons for Karma's visits were not common knowledge. As far as the general public knew, the Forsaken pack was one to be feared. Their Alpha routinely sent out a masked she-wolf in the night to kidnap innocent men, women and children so that her Alpha could torture them, with some tales even suggesting the pack experimented on them.

Initially, Karma hadn't understood the impact breaking a bond would have on the other end. It turned out that when she broke a pack bond, it had the same impact on the Alpha and pack as if that member had been killed. Likewise, when a mate bond was broken, the other party would feel the agony of their mate dying.

It was because of this that many believed the missing werewolves were mostly dead. Stories grew wildly of a mass murdering Alpha, and the Forsaken pack became infamous for the woman everyone began to call "the Spectre".

Those who had benefitted from the kindness of the Forsaken pack would try to dispel these tall tales; however, their numbers were so few that it made no difference. And so, eventually, the complaints of the Forsaken pack reached the Royal pack.