Chapter 11

AN: Sorry guys i completely got sidetracked with life and forgot to update this story. Dont worry i would never leave off a story like that! Hope you enjoy the new piece. Tell me how you like it :)- Jessica

I awake with a startled cry, as i take in my surroundings. Plain white walls, bright white lights shining in my eyes, my ears being filled with the sound of beeping. Am i dead?  I wonder. I notice that i'm staring straight up at a white ceiling...my head is foggy, almost heavy. I cant lift it from what seems to be a bed that i'm on. 

"Thank god you're awake," i hear someone say. I look to my left with great discomfort to see a young woman. She looks so familiar. "Joanna are you feeling any better?" the gorgeous woman said with tears running down her pale skin. I try to reach out to wipe her tears, but i cant get my hand up. 

As i stare at her i take in her features carefully. Her eyes were so beautiful, i was immediately captivated by them. Her hair was so dark it seemed to mesmerize me. But her beauty was not just in her looks, i couldn't help but be hypnotized by the sound of her voice. Yet there was something familiar about it at the same time. 

Stephanie. My dad. The hospital. The gun. All the memories were rushing back to me all at once.

I can feel my heart quicken, my mouth dry as i start to hyperventilate. "Joanna you're okay! Joanna breathe, take a deep breathe! I'm here Joanna, please just look at me..," Stephanie yells as i struggle for air. I find my eyes meeting her beautiful eyes as my hand is pulled into her own, her familiar warmth comforting me. As i start to control my breathing i attempt to try to get words out of my mouth, "St..eph.....anie?" I can see her cry gentle tears as she kisses the palm of my hand resting it on her cheek. "Yes...Joanna it's me. Im so glad you're awake," she struggled to say, choking back on her sobs, "I missed you. Im so so sorry i wasnt there to protect you." As i continue to look at Stephanie, i feel my thumb stroke her cheek gently. She looks up at me smiling gently, tears running down her eyes. "Hospital?" I struggle to ask. Stephanie only nods in response, too emotional to say anything more. 

My other hand battles for the strength as i reach to touch my head...where he shot me. Stephanie grabs my hand pulling it back down quickly before i can even get to my head. She shakes her head, "You can touch Joanna, Dr.Rangel says the....the stitches and bandages can't be touched. To keep everything in place...." I look at her with wide eyes. What did she mean "to keep everything in place??" As i open my mouth to attempt to ask her she must have already known because she strokes my cheek, calming me down with the simple gesture. "Joanna, your...father....he shot you and barely missed your brain. The doctors had to operate on you, remove the bullet from your skull, and put you into an induced coma for weeks." She starts to choke back tears once again. I cant stand to see her like this. I take a deep breathe, gathering all my strength, "Dont.....cry......please." 

Stephanie looks at me smiling gently. The same smile i fell in love when i met her in the hospital hallway. I sit up from the bed with agonizing pain, to hear Stephanie's pleas for me to stay lying down. But as she moves to attempt to put me down into bed, i find my hand cupping her face. She's staring at me wide-eyed and passionately as i lean in and capture her lips in mine, kissing her gently feeling her strengthen me.