Chapter 4

Tate pulls me closer to his chest. "We're almost there."

"We're almost w-where?" I glance around, but all I see are trees. Trees, trees, trees—and the moon, illuminating more trees.

"Campus," he says softly.

I should make a run for it. There's a good chance he isn't as nice a guy as he seems to be, but I feel warm and safe in his arms. The chill slowly seeps out of my bones until I'm no longer trembling, and my every breath is filled with the minty musk that's uniquely him.

The walk through the forest ends up being achingly brief and breathtakingly endless. I truly am in a fairy tale. The only thing missing is music.

"What band is that?" Charming asks as he carries me up to the LUV Academy gate. He really was taking me to campus!

"Huh?" I ask absently, my attention focused on the massive buildings sprawling up ahead. I usually approach the academy from the back, taking the curving lane that leads to my favorite tree. I've never even seen the parking lot spread out before us, or the large buildings flanking it on three sides.

"That tune. I've never heard it before." Charming recaptures my attention.

"Oh, um... it's just... stuff?" I flush with embarrassment. How could I start humming like that? Especially now, when this is the closest I've ever gotten to living out my fairytale dream?

"It's just stuff?" Charming chuckles at my non explanation, and I quickly look away.

"I think it's from a movie." I hold my breath, but he doesn't call me out on my lie. He just pulls the gate open and proceeds to carry me past dozens of parked cars.

We exit onto a short walkway nestled between two buildings. It's quiet, but well-lit, and when we turn a corner, the familiar clock tower comes into view.

I tilt my head back, taking it in from up close. The minute hand doesn't move, and for a split second, I hope time is standing still.

This is real life, Roonie, I remind myself. In real life, time doesn't stop and guys like Charming don't fall for girls like me.

He carries me across campus. Brightly lit, state-of-the-art, modern buildings arch over our heads. It's like we're passing through an outdoor stage and they're the stars performing in a fairy tale musical.

To my right, a low wall marks the edge of a garden that leads to a series of cozy-looking shops. When I was little, Mom loved taking me to different stores. She'd pick a nearby town, and the two of us would drive down and explore. We'd stroll along the small streets, singing about princes and dragons while pretending we lived there.

Those feelings from long ago start to bloom again, and I want to stay here forever.

When Charming turns a corner, I look over his shoulder to keep the stores in sight. I want to hold on to this magical moment, but a wave of pain forces me to turn back around.

Charming continues along the path and turns toward one of the buildings. Despite the late hour, when we reach the front doors, they slide open to let us in.

Charming carries me over the threshold. If I wasn't already in his arms, I think I might swoon.

We enter the lobby and head toward the front desk. I take in the glistening marble floors and fancy leather couches. Did Charming bring me to a hotel?

I feel a momentary flood of panic. Then the familiar smell of disinfectant assaults my nostrils. I've spent enough time at the hospital to recognize one when I smell it

I look up, and the sign above the front desk confirms that we're at the 'Campus Health Center.'

The gray-haired receptionist looks up from her computer as we approach. She's wearing light blue scrubs, and her name tag reads 'Faye.' I wonder if she'll wave a magic wand and heal my aches and pains—or better yet, give me a fancy dress, a carriage and glass slippers.

I snuggle into Charming's warmth, and a contented sigh slips past my lips. Faye purses hers in response.

My cheeks blaze at the critical once-over she gives me, and the obvious judgment there. The way she takes in my sodden appearance makes me want to disappear. I wait for a barrage of criticism, but it never comes. Instead, Faye waves us in. "I'll send for the doctor right away."

"Thank you." Charming gives her a winning smile.

In the bright light, without the night casting him in shadow, the man whose arms I'm in looks even more perfect. His eyes aren't blue or green, like I'd originally thought. They're the lightest of browns—a mix of chocolate and molten honey that I could gaze into for an eternity.

I force myself to look away, but not before I notice how achingly handsome he is—this stranger who found me in the forest and whisked me away.

He carries me across the room and starts to set me down on one of the expensive-looking leather couches.

"Don't," I cry. "I'm covered in mud."

"It's fine." Charming ignores my protests and gently lowers me onto the soft surface. Then, he takes a step back and stares at me, his eyes roaming over my mud-caked body.

My face suddenly grows hot and I quickly look away. I feel his warm touch on my cheek. My eyes snap back up, and Charming leans closer and whispers, "You have some mud. Right here."

"I...I..." I stutter as he wipes it away. Then I blurt out, "Roonie."

"Roonie..." he repeats, confusion evident on his face.

"My name. It's Roonie. Roonie Hill."

"I'm Tate." He chuckles. "Tate Green."

A part of me is disappointed he doesn't say 'Charming. Prince Charming.' I blush, and he offers me his hand. The first time he did that, back in the forest, it was so he could rescue me. Now, he squeezes it, his grip warm and strong and perfect. "Wait here, okay, Roonie?"

My heart leaps at the sound of my name on his lips and I nod.

Tate smiles warmly and heads back to Faye's desk. Thanks to me, his light blue t-shirt is covered in wet mud. The thin cotton clings to his tanned skin. My eyes linger on his broad shoulders, then drift down to take in the way his jogging pants hug his backside and outline his toned, muscular legs.

I jerk my gaze away. I should leave before he realizes what a mess I am and this fairytale is ruined. I should preserve the perfect memory of my time spent with Tate Green-Charming.

But I can't find the willpower to walk away, so I try to listen in on Tate's conversation with Faye instead.

He says something I can't quite make out and she responds, her voice far too soft. Are they talking about me?

I reach for the steadying presence of my pendant, and my fingers graze bare skin. My insides lurch. My attention locks on the empty spot at my collarbone, and panic threatens to overwhelm me until I remember.

I drop my hand into my pocket, searching for the cold stone. I pull out each of the fractured pieces, one by one, making sure they're all there.

When I find them, I squeeze my hand into a fist and compose a song.

My fractured heart, split into four

Then once again mended whole

They're good lyrics and I like the tune, but they're a lie. The four fractured pieces stare back at me from the palm of my hand, a reminder that my pendant can't be fixed... and neither can the mess that is my life. 

**

Note: How are you enjoying the story so far? 

First 14 chapters are on Patreon, if you'd like to get advanced access (link in bio). Don't worry, it'll all be posted on Wattpad (one chapter a week)