CHAPTER ONE: MADMAX

Madmax

The Henderson Household

"Son of a bitch! Son of a bitch!" Dustin exclaimed loudly as he rushed into his living room, racing over to the couch before flipping through its cushions, frantically searching for loose change, "Another stupid penny!" He groaned as he picked up the copper coin before tossing it over his shoulder. His mother flinched back, holding Mews to her chest protectively, "Dusty, watch it! You almost hit Mews!" She complained as the penny clattered to the ground beside her.

"Can I please check under your cushions?" He replied to her as
(Y/N) walked into the room, crossing her arms with a lopsided grin on her face as Dustin pleaded with their mother. Claudia gave Dustin a stern look, "Dusty." Dustin groaned, his voice becoming whiny, "Mom, please! It's an emergency!" He exclaimed, (Y/N) speaking up before her mother had to stand up, "At this rate, we're gonna be late, bud. I'll just break down a ten at the register."

Dustin's head shot over to (Y/N) in hope, a wide smile stretching across his face, "Really?" He beamed, causing (Y/N) to nod and shrug, "Why not? I've been workin' overtime anyway." Dustin laughed gleefully and quickly raced out of the room, yelling back at the two, "Thank you! Love you, mom! Come on (Y/N), let's go!" He rambled. (Y/N) smirked and shook her head, her mother sending her a thankful smile before she walked out of the room, grabbing her leather jacket, wallet, and car keys.

(Y/N) chuckled at Dustin's eager face, slipping on her jacket as they left the house, the duo heading towards the older girl's car, "You got everything?" She asked before they jumped in the car,
(Y/N) starting up the engine as Dustin pulled his walkie-talkie out of his backpack, sending her a quick nod, "Lucas, you copy? I've got four quarters and (Y/N)'s gonna break down a ten! What's your haul?" Lucas was quick to reply as (Y/N) pulled out of the driveway, "Take your puny haul and multiply it by five."

(Y/N) let out a quiet laugh as she drove down the street, the two boys bickering over the radio to each other, "Tell him I'm on my way, so his ass best be ready when I pull up." Dustin nodded and relayed the message to the boy on the other end before Lucas spoke up once more, "Okay, you call Mike." Dustin rolled his eyes and scoffed, "Why do I have to call Mike?" He shot back.

(Y/N)'s face fell at the silence that followed the question, the older girl reaching over to grasp the radio in her hand as she pressed down on the button, "You procrastinated getting ready, didn't you?" She questioned. A sheepish voice replied to her, "Maybe...Welp, I gotta go! Over and out!" The Henderson's let out identical scoffs, the duo rolling their eyes as they turned a corner, Dustin taking his radio back to call his raven haired friend, "Mike, do you copy? Mike, do you copy?"

"Yeah. Yeah, I copy." The boy replied, causing (Y/N) to furrow her brows, "What the hell is he doing on that channel?" She spoke up, Dustin accidentally pressing the button as they drove over a bump. Mike heard the older girl, the raven haired boy glancing around at the fort that he had made for Eleven, "Nothing." He quickly replied.