36

Delilah was yanking at the wooden planks with all she had but nothing was going her way. The footsteps had stopped so she assumed that whatever was coming for her was gone until she felt an icy, bony hand on her shoulder. She froze for a split second, she didn't want to turn around. "It's alright honey" a voice that could only belong to her father said softly. "No, no it's not alright" she said trying to fight back tears. "You've just run out of time Delilah" the man said in the same soft tone which left her confused. "This would have never happened to your brother. I say you're not smart but you are. You protected your brother all of this time and you figured out what the clock meant for his friend. I'm proud. Just turn around honey" he said, trying to convince her, because it was everything she ever wanted to hear, she did.

There, in-front of her was a being much bigger than her in size. It was blue in colour, looked to be made completely of vines and had orb-less eyes. This was Vecna. "You have run out of time, Delilah" he snarled as she shook her head. "You've said that two times now" she said, trying to make herself laugh, anything to distract herself from what was happening. "I don't like sarcasm" he continued before lifting his hand up to her face. This was the end.

"Nancy's gone under too. Fuck" Eddie hollered into the gaping hole that separated the two worlds. "Delilah. Babe. Come on" Steve said, still trying to shake it out of her until he looked up at the panicked Eddie. "What are you doing man ? Music. They need music" he barked as Eddie nodded and ran off, not even waiting to hear her favourite song. He sprinted to his bedroom where Robin and Dustin were turning tapes over, trying to find a tape for each of the girls. "D-Delilah's favourite song ? Nancy's favourite song ? Come on we won't find it here" Robin cried as Eddie shook his head. "This is music ! I'm sure there's something here" he shouted as the girl shook her head. "Madonna ? Bowie ? Blondie ? I don't-" she began as Dustin's whole face lit up. "Bon Jovi" he said relieved before running to the gap in the ceiling.

"I have it" Dustin shouted before looking to Nancy, then Steve, then all of a sudden, Nancy dropped to the floor. "Nancy's awake. Someone look after her" Dustin shouted before climbing the rope to save his sister. "Dustin ? No. No. Get back to the safe side" Steve lectured but the boy didn't care. He inserted the tape and put the headphones over his sisters ears, waiting for her to snap out of it.

His hand was over her face, this was the end. She didn't know what she'd feel, she just knew that this was what death would feel like. She wouldn't die peacefully in her sleep like she wanted, Steve by her side whether that be in the after-life or holding her hand as she fell into her eternal coma. That was until she heard the words. "Take my hand, we'll make it I swear". She didn't know if it was a mind game Vecna was playing to make her final moments more painful or if this was what death was. Did someone go out with the soundtrack of their life playing in the background ?

To black it out, she squeezed her eyes shut but was only met with memories. Roaring the song in Steve's face at too early o'clock, kissing him in the grimey bathroom, saying they loved each-other at the Christmas fair, her baby brother being handed to her at the age of four, meeting him for the first time and calling him "Dustbin" until he turned seven, Robin holding her in the bathroom as she cried after the Carol incident while Eddie shouted one of his monologues at her through the door. All of it. She couldn't die now. With every last piece of strength she had, she shoved the dreaded hand off her. Not expecting her to have any strength at all, the being was taken aback but he was out of her way and that was all she needed.

There was an opening that hadn't been there before. She could see Steve and Dustin shaking her, trying to pull her body back down since it was floating in the air. She knew what she needed to do, she couldn't be dumb anymore. She couldn't give into her fathers ideation of her and she couldn't leave the two boys that adored the ground she walked on alone so she ran. She ran as fast as her legs could take her. Clinging onto the memories in her head. Vecna, angry of course was throwing obstacles in her way but she didn't care, she'd jump them, she'd step on them, she was getting out.

The opening was a jump away, she ran a couple of more centimetres then dived into it. Her body dropped to the floor, she was now in a crying Steve's arms. "Delilah ?" he said relieved, clinging to her. "Steve" she said through pants, she was exhausted and cupping his face. "Y'know, you're lucky you run up moms electric bill with that boom box. How would I have known your favourite song" Dustin remarked as she lay back in Steve's arms and wrapped her brother in a hug. Those boys were her family.

"I-I saw him. You saved me" she said to neither of them in particular as Steve tried to compose himself but couldn't. "I thought I lost you, it's all my fault. I promised-" he began as she shook her head. "I knew it was coming" she whispered before pressing a kiss on his lips. He didn't expect it, she didn't expect to do it but they did it.

"Guys, I don't mean to shit on your parade but those bats sound angry" Dustin observed as they heard the pack of bats they'd defeated screaming, it was getting closer. "Let's go" they all said in unison.

Delilah Henderson had been saved by those who loved her most in the world.