The Shed

Just along the side track of the main path through the woods was a shed, not a very big shed but a shed all the least. The strangeness of this building being here made two men curious. Adam and Phil couldn't help themselves, they had to explore. 

"Who's got a shed out here?" Adam said as they walked over. 

Phil didn't answer, he was already way in front and almost at the shed door. Adam was behind, much slower. 

"It's locked." Phil looked back. 

"Fucks sake, wanted to know what's in there.." 

"Just because it's locked doesn't mean we can't get in." Phil looked back again and winked. 

A window on the right side of the shed, facing out towards the path was made of glass, a black curtain was protecting the view from outside. As if purposely hiding something. Phil threw a rock at it. Did the rock break the glass? Does a bear shit in the woods?

"Now we just need to make sure we don't get cut." Phil's voice had a tone of arrogance, as if he had just won the lottery.

Phil went in smoothly, and then made a sound. A squeal of delight. 

"What is it?" Adam felt anxious, had they just won the lottery?

"Come in and see." Phil's voice was full of excitement.

He clambered through, he also made a sound when he got into the shed, but this one was one of pain. He had put his hand through the glass, his left palm was bleeding. Phil looked over and laughed. 

"I did say not to cut yourself." He was still laughing.

Adam stopped trying to stop the bleeding and looked around the shed, jaw dropped. He thought he smelt it before he saw it. 

"Who's got a grow out in the woods this bait?" 

"An idiot."

There were six cannabis plants full grown, all ready for the taking. The two men didn't even smoke cannabis anymore but this was a money maker. Not a big money maker but anything made from it would be profit. Phil did know people. 

"We need to come back later with a couple bags." Adam said, ready to leave.

"Yeah, but not yet. Let's smoke some now."  

"Do we even have any of the equipment?" 

Phil looked at him disheartened, defeated. And then a spark appeared in his eye.

"We can take some now and come back, there's so much and if were quick no one will..."

The sound of a man shouting stopped him, it stopped him in his tracks. It didn't only stop him but it shook him, to the core. Both men went down, as if that would save them.

Outside the man's noises were now recognizable, the words were of anger. And then it happened, the sound of keys jingling and one entering the lock. Both men held their breath.

With the door firing open a small ragged man shot through the door, behind his dark matted beard was a red face, a face so red it seemed to be hell itself. Then he saw Phil on the floor.

"YOU!" The man didn't wait for a reaction, he just went ahead and with all his effort kicked the floored man down further onto it. 

The bearded man didn't notice Adam, so he went down not prepared when he was pushed away and off him. Adam saw Phil was bleeding, it seemed to be his nose but trying to help his friend up was a mistake, the man got up. Adam didn't see what was in the man's hands but Phil did.

"NO! PLEASE!" Phil's efforts were in vain, he looked up to see a hatchet go in and out of Adam's skull. 

"Break my window and I break skulls, steal from me and I steal souls!" The words were slurred, as if the man had spent the whole day drinking. 

"We didn't steal anything. We just looked, I pro...." The hatchet didn't let him finish his sentence, but it didn't mean he stopped making any sounds, he was now screaming. 

The bearded man missed his swing and had hit Phil in his arm, it wasn't chopped off but it was hanging, damaged beyond repair. The second swing was just as clumsy, but did chop of Phil's left hand. The third went directly through his face, Phil was almost sure he saw the bearded man close one eye for better aim. But he couldn't be sure anymore, he couldn't be sure of anything anymore.