Chapter Twenty Eight Who's There

Slowly, Carl and I backed into an isle and drew our weapons. Footsteps slowly approached our hiding place and I knew in a matter of seconds there could be a blood bath. The steps quickly got louder and closer and my heart stopped beating.

Soon 5 young kids our age walked around the corner. Thinking we were walkers the pulled their weapons up fast but Carl yelled stop.

"Who are you?" One of the boys in the group asked. I knew I had a better chance at handling this so I moved out from behind Carl revealing my large belly.

"I'm y/n, and this is Carl. I'm 7 months pregnant. We lost our group awhile back. We've been on our own for almost a year now."

Their eyes widened when my stomach appeared.

"Do you guys have a place that's safe?" One asked.

"We found a house on a farm. It has fences and its untouched." I responded slowly.

"We need somewhere to go." another said.

"How do we know we can trust you?" Carl responded. I could tell he was worried.

"You have a baby, we are all kids. We can help each other. You're going to need help when that baby comes."

Carl looked to his feet and thought for a moment before nodding and leading the group to our vehicle.

"What are your names?" I asked.

"I'm Karlie, this is Lena, Kaden, Lucas and Kyle."

They all seemed nice and so harmless but as my thoughts drifted to memories of the past I worried that these people wouldn't be who they seemed and we would be facing another tough situation soon.