2 ❃ one of those old souls

Song Firearm - Lizzy McAlpine

TW • yelling and harsh language

"When?" I ask, smoke filtering out of my mouth.

"In two weeks," Eden mumbles, grabbing the cigarette from my hands. We're sitting on her roof, I love being up here.

It felt like the one place where I had control. I was so high up I could see everything from here.

"But what if-"

"But what if you get hit by a car tomorrow or aliens invade the earth?" She cuts me off before I'm able to vocalize my worry. I can't help but laugh at it, she knows me better than I know myself.

"The point is, it could work and you'd be free," she points out, placing the chemical stick between her plump lips.

She just explained to me this insane plan to help my siblings and I run away from that house. Legally, I'm allowed to leave but my siblings are still kids.

"Besides, granny's already on board, there's no way June would win in a legal battle," Eden grins as before I slap her shoulder.

"You went behind my back?!"

"Look, If I didn't you would be entirely against this but I thought maybe-" she stops for a second to take a deep breath. "- it's all sorted out, Maya, and selfishly I miss my best friend, you deserve to be happy,"

I frown at that, I've spent most of life thinking that no one would be there to help. There are people in this world that care, it's rare, but they're out there.

"She really agreed to it?" I ask, hesitantly. Eden slightly smirks as she turns to look at me.

"She said she'd be more than happy to help anyone get away from that train wreck she's forced to call her daughter in law," She laughs, wrapping an arm around me.

I can't help but lean into her touch, remembering the warmth of my grandma.

We've been close but it's been hard recently. June has been on my ass making it tough to check in on her. She's one of those old souls, a hippie if you will.

"How did you get her number anyway?" I ask, leaning back to look her in the eye.

"Facebook," she says with a 'duh' tone.

I grin at my best friend, I should've guessed she would go searching like that.

My mind wanders to the endless possibilities of this situation. They could be safe with her and happy, that would be the best possible outcome.